In ground spa air line blockage

Old 11-09-19, 05:55 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
In ground spa air line blockage

So, I bought a house in SoCal that has an in ground spa/hot tub.
I replaced the motor with the new version of what was there, the water flows, the heater works.
I replaced the air blower as it wasn’t working, and it seems the line is blocked. I tried blowing into it, water just backs up the pipe. I tried a shop vac both sucking and blowing, I put a snake down it and at first it would only go about five feet but now goes the length of the snake, about 12 feet. I tried putting baking soda and vinegar down the pipe, bubbled, nothing else. I tried a hydro jet, nothing.
The line is beneath the concrete patio floor.
Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-19, 07:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 262 Votes on 237 Posts
I would have loved to have seen your science fair vinegar and baking soda volcano.

Where are you snaking from?

Old 11-09-19, 07:05 PM
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
Something is in there & you may have pushed it in further with the snake. I would not send any more air or water from the intake side. Was the intake ever open such that a rodent could have crawled in and not crawled out?

You could try plugging all the spa jets except one and blasting water from the spa side. You could also try peeking in there with an endoscope.

Last edited by RocketJSquirrel; 11-09-19 at 08:20 PM.
Old 11-11-19, 04:36 PM
Pilot Dane, it was fun! Had to feed it in a little at a time, brought back memories!
I'm doing t all from the blower side, I just removed the blower and down I went!
Thx for any help or thoughts!

Old 11-11-19, 04:39 PM
Hi Rocket J Squirrel!
That's what I'm thinking, I must have pushed further in.
When I bought the house, it had the non-working blower attached, so as long as I have owned it, it's been covered. I assume it could of entered through the jets as I don't believe water was in there all of the time. I think.
Thx!

Old 11-11-19, 05:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 262 Votes on 237 Posts
Search online for in ground spa plumbing and look at the photos. It will give you some idea how the piping for your spa might be run.

Do you have air control knobs at the edge of the spa? If so you could try removing them and snake from there. Also some jets can be disassembled if so you might have some luck snaking from there.

There are inexpensive endoscopes available online. Some are very long. You pair them with your phone and use it's screen for viewing. Sending a camera down the pipe might also help understand what your dealing with.