Water in pool vs. water in rain gauge ?

Old 02-01-20, 09:59 AM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Water in pool vs. water in rain gauge ?

I might have a leak in our in ground pool. I will do a 24 hour bucket test later on. I have been using a ruler in the skimmer to check level each day. Usually goes down 1/4 inch per day...if no rain.

Frequent rains have made me curious. So....if my rain gauge shows 1/2 inch overnight, does that mean the pool level should show 1/2 inch increase (assuming I measure early morning). Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-20, 11:52 AM
Group Moderator
Received 517 Votes on 487 Posts
Good question. On the surface it would appear to be yes.
Interesting though as I have rain gauge and it doesn't seem to match the pool level increase.
The cover is on now so it's tough to tell exactly.

Old 02-01-20, 04:43 PM
Group Moderator
Received 318 Votes on 292 Posts
I would use a large container to check for rainfall. Something large like a wash tub or 5 gallon bucket. It's larger collection area should give a more accurate rain reading than a small rain gauge that only has a few square inches collection area. I have a small rain gauge and it quite often records less rain than our weather station located 2 feet away that has about a square foot collection area.

Old 02-01-20, 07:15 PM
Sounds like a good idea Pilot D. I will try out. Thanks.

Old 02-04-20, 05:10 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I think I would like to compare apples to apples as best as possible. The pool surface is susceptible to heat and wind and ?. So - the collection 'bucket' should be susceptible to the same conditions.

It has been many years now but we once had a pool I thought had a leak. As I remember it, there was a small leak in the concrete cut-out for a pool light. I drained some water to a level near to that of the light. I watched the level drop a little more and at one point (when the cut-out was above the water surface) the level stopped dropping.

As I said - it has been many years.

Old 02-07-20, 09:58 PM
I suspect the skimmer (tiles) has the leak. Had the pool filter off 100% for 2 days. Will note results and then....circulate pool as usual. Perhaps the water loss each day will increase if water is moving thru the skimmer. That should tell me something. I did set out a clear plastic container that will hold 3-5 gallons.

Old 02-12-20, 06:43 PM
No rain for a week and pool drops about 1/4 inch/day......pool motor on... or off. I probably will drop the level of the pool below the skimmer and leave motor off for awhile and see what transpires. And then run motor and let bottom drain circulate and see what transpires.