Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs
Reload this Page >

pool pump tripping breaker with other problems following

Old 05-26-20, 07:44 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

This is my first year experiencing this problem, pool pump will run for about 3 hours at most than will trip the afci gfci 20a breaker. If I reset breaker it trips instantly. If I unplug the pool pump and reset breaker it still trips under zero load. The feed is a 12g ran underground presumably in conduit to a manual Westinghouse disconnect and connects to the pump with an older style 3 prong twist lock connector. If I leave it over night off ,the next day it will work again for up to 3 hours when I turn it on. What the hell is going on?? Being a lineman by trade I understand electric but residential isn't something I'm very versed in. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Old 05-27-20, 05:47 AM
B
Received 101 Votes on 88 Posts
The fact it will operate for 3 hours indicates a heat problem to me. My guess a bearing in the motor or pump is increasing in friction over time resulting in the motor amps increasing to the point of tripping the 20A breaker. When the breaker trips, can you separate the pump from the motor and turn the shafts by hand to see which isn't rotating freely? Not sure why breaker trips with motor electrically disconnected. This indicates a fault on the line side of the GFCI. Does the Westinghouse disconnect have a solenoid?

Old 05-27-20, 07:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,342 Votes on 1,240 Posts
If I unplug the pool pump and reset breaker it still trips under zero load.
If it trips without the pump plugged in..... it's not the motor.

Really shouldn't be AFCI/GCI protected. A pool pump just requires GFI protection.

If I leave it over night off ,the next day it will work again for up to 3 hours
I assume you mean you leave the breaker off overnight.
I'd be curious to see what happened if you left it off overnight and turned it on in the morning without the pump connected. If it trips in 3 hours.... there is an underground line problem which is what I'm leaning towards.

Old 06-01-20, 04:41 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yes if I leave the pump off overnight come the morning it'll turn right back on and run no problem. We swapped out the afci/gfci breaker with a regular 20a breaker and no longer have the problem. Tested draw at the 3 hour mark in which it would normally trip and were getting 9 amp which is nothing for that pump. I'm going to be replacing the pump this week only because the current one is old and from what I've been told undersized for the pool size. Once I swap out the pump I'm going to reinstall the gfci breaker and see if problem continues.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: