Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs
Reload this Page >

Hot Tub GFCI randomly tripping. Jacuzzi J-365

Old 05-28-20, 09:12 PM
V
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I was mainly looking for a forum to ask some question and see if anyone else has experienced my same or similar issue.

I have a Jacuzzi J365 from 2007. Heres what I have done so far. A few weeks ago I noticed that my spay had gone into watch dog mode and wasn't heating. I did a little research and powered my spa off at the GFCI breaker. I powered it back on and it looked to be function properly but it would immediately go back in watch dog mode indicating ---.

On further diagnosis I thought it could be my water temp sensor, I purchased and installed a new temp sensor and powered back on. This time the real culprit presented itself. I found that my heater circulation pump was completely seized up and no flow was going to the flow sensor switch. The pump was super hot to the touch so I immediately powered down and copied all the pertinent info and model number off the old circ pump and ordered a new one. I installed the new pump and powered back on and everything seemed to work wonderful until about 48 hours or so later then I found my GFCI to be tripped. Now I do have a fair amount of electrical knowledge so I immediately thought I could have a back ground somewhere. I opened everything back up and traced all connection and made there the were clean and tight and nothing missed. I tripled check all connections. Turned back on the system and it worked again for about 24 hours then tripped the GFCI again. Now the next thing I checked was the heater itself. first I disconnected it from the main board and checked it's resistance which returned 10.4 ohms on my fluke meter. I left the unit disconnected and once again powered on the system. Once again 24 hours later the GFCI tripped. I can't trace down what is triggering it but the only things I can think of to do next is inspect the actual GFCI and after that I only have two thoughts. Perhaps the main controller board is bad or perhaps I bought a faulty circulation pump. Any advice or help would be appreciated. I am a DIYer as you may have figured but I don't want to through more money at this without some thoughts from you.

Thanks for your time.

Old 05-28-20, 10:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,342 Votes on 1,240 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

You're not really concerned with the heater resistance. You need to check from each heater feed terminal to ground. A GFI looks for leakage to ground..... that's it. You just replaced a pump. Water leaking into the motor can trip a GFI. Water leaking into any connection can cause a trip.

A brief description on how a GFI works. Your power comes in on two legs. The power flow is equal thru the two legs. If one leg has a slight resistance to ground..... then the two legs are no longer equal and the unit trips.

Old 05-29-20, 12:45 AM
Received 427 Votes on 398 Posts
You need to isolate, to verify just remove the power leads frm the heater or the power connection at the controller and turn it back on, if GFI does not trip you've found the problem.

Old 05-29-20, 07:36 AM
Y
Received 12 Votes on 12 Posts
We had gfci problems with out hot tub and a new gfci solved it. If yours is from 2007...........

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: