Above ground pool stays green

Reply

  #1  
Old 06-05-20, 06:09 PM
R
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 59
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Above ground pool stays green

I have an above ground pool that is 22’ by 52” with a salt water sand filter. I went out of town for a week and when I can home I seen that my pump tripped out and the pool is green. I threw 3 pounds of Trichlor shock and allowed the filter to run continuously for two days and nothing happened. I now have added 12 pounds of Trichlor shock and still nothing is happening and color is still green.

I took a sample to the local pool store and they say all levels are good and to shock it again.

I am lost as to why after adding so much shock it is still green??

also, after I add shock how long should it take to return to blue?
 

Last edited by Robbiejames; 06-05-20 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Add the type of chlorine
  #2  
Old 06-05-20, 10:38 PM
PJmax's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Northern NJ - USA
Posts: 60,869
Received 1,340 Votes on 1,238 Posts
Did they check the water for high phosphate levels ?
That is the food source for algae.
You may need to use a phosphate reducer but regardless...... keep your filter clean and running.

Phosphate remover
 
  #3  
Old 06-06-20, 01:57 AM
R
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 59
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yes, the phosphate level is really low.

I can’t figure out what could be the problem??? Frustrating to say the least
 
  #4  
Old 06-06-20, 05:17 AM
P
Group Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: NC, USA
Posts: 24,441
Received 750 Votes on 689 Posts
You've told us how much chlorine you added. Do you know what ppm chlorine level that got your water up to?
 
  #5  
Old 06-06-20, 08:58 AM
R
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 59
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I do not know the exact ppm but according to everything I have read, one pound of Trichlor should raise 10,000 gallons by 10ppm so with my pool being about 12-13,000 gallons I figure with all the shock I have added I should have easily reached 35-40 ppm.

with that being said, could I have added too much? I ask this cause I read that although the chlorine levels increase so do the cya levels and if the cua levels increase too much then the pool kind of locks and does nothing? Is this true? If so how do I fix that?
 
  #6  
Old 06-06-20, 11:43 AM
P
Group Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: NC, USA
Posts: 24,441
Received 750 Votes on 689 Posts
You really can't add too much chlorine as far as shocking. Too much only means you have to wait longer before the chlorine level falls below 5 ppm and is safe for swimming.

If you are not getting results with shocking to 30-40 ppm I'd go nuclear. Try shocking to 60-100 ppm. Don't forget to maintain the pH and clean your filter frequently. If the water is green there is a lot of algae that must be filtered out. Once it's trapped in your filter you need to flush and get it out of there before it breaks down and contaminates the water.
 
  #7  
Old 06-06-20, 10:17 PM
R
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 59
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ok, would it help if I used liquid shock instead of granulated?
 
  #8  
Old 06-07-20, 06:33 AM
lawrosa's Avatar
Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Galivants Ferry SC USA
Posts: 18,154
Received 63 Votes on 55 Posts
Stop!!!!!!! .
 
  #9  
Old 06-07-20, 06:42 AM
lawrosa's Avatar
Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Galivants Ferry SC USA
Posts: 18,154
Received 63 Votes on 55 Posts
Trichlor has cynaric acid and you must know this level before you continue.

This level you want at about 30 or so. If your are high then yes your shock levels will be higher.

Sometimes when owners fail to understand what levels all should be at and the CYA gets too high more often then not a partial drain and refill is the only solution that will work.

we need PH levels
Alkilinity
and CYA levels.

I shock with bleach from the store. Its sodium hypochorate which is salt based.

Once you get those #'s then you can shock accordingly.
You also need a test kit that will test to these high chlrine levels. Because when your shock you have to keep the ppm high until pool clears.

example. You need to shock to 30ppm. you do but it drops to 15 in a few hours. You need to raise it back to 30. Only constant testing will allow you to adjust the levels and maintain shock level.
 
  #10  
Old 06-07-20, 06:44 AM
lawrosa's Avatar
Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Galivants Ferry SC USA
Posts: 18,154
Received 63 Votes on 55 Posts
  #11  
Old 06-09-20, 04:39 PM
R
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 59
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you, I have ordered a test kit and once I get it I will post the levels and hopefully you can help guide me from there.
 
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: