hot tub pump tripped thermal protection?

Old 06-11-20, 05:33 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
hot tub pump tripped thermal protection?

I have a 2001 sundance altamar pump one the 2 speed pump last night tripped the thermal protection we were in the tub heard the click the pump stopped I got out felt the pump it was hot too the touch no burn marks or burning smell after about 5 mins we heard it click again and it came back on and ran on both speeds we let it run for 5 mins or so then shut it down when i went out this am the pump was running its cycle as normal but it did feel warmer then i think it should be

pump is the orig as far as I can tell runs quite

thermax 6500-261 any ideas? is it new pump or rebuild time? i was going to run my air line out to it and blow through the motor vents and make sure they are not plugged other then that I've never really messed with electric motors

Old 06-11-20, 06:35 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 752 Votes on 691 Posts
With one thermal trip I wouldn't panic but I would keep an eye on it. I would check to make sure your filters are clean and that no jets are blocked. Also look under the spa's skirt to make sure no animals have built a nest and are blocking airflow. I would also check the motor's air intake, if it has them, to see if anything is clogging or blocking airflow. If the motor has a fan you can access easily I would disconnect power to the spa. Then try turning the motor by hand or with a screwdriver on the fan to see if it turns freely. If not it could indicate a bearing or other problem.

Old 06-14-20, 04:51 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
update

I used my air compressor and blew the motor(s) out the one that was really hot was absolutely full of foam insulation from the side of the tub once that was all blown out and vacuumed up pump runs way cooler and you can actually feel the airflow out the back of it

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: