Install Watkins Freshwater III Ozonator

Old 06-22-20, 05:09 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Install Watkins Freshwater III Ozonator

Greetings! I've got a 2007 Hot Spot Mallorca spa that I'm about to add an ozonator to. The spa describes itself as "ozonator-ready" but its instruction manual says nothing about how to install one.

The Freshwater III I've found comes with all its original parts, but I can't be sure about its installation instructions. Something tells me I might be on my own for this one.

Has anyone installed one of these units? Maybe even in the same/similar model/year spa? Got any help/advice you can offer before I embark on this project?

Old 06-22-20, 05:17 PM
Received 427 Votes on 398 Posts
By spa ready means that inside the control box there is a plug for the ozonator.

Ozonator has a line, with one way valve, that runs to ventuii fitting which is on the recirc pump line.

Hate to say it, myself included, when these things die, they dont usually get replaced. The benefit just doesn't equal the hassle!

Old 06-22-20, 05:19 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 752 Votes on 691 Posts
I've installed one in an older, pre-ozone spa. It was quite easy. What questions do you have?

Old 06-23-20, 11:06 AM
S
Pictures!

I suppose pictures would help huh. Should have thought of that initially... 😕

Here's my spa's equipment area:

And some close-ups of what I believe / assume to be the key components when it comes to the ozonator:

So, that white plug that's not currently in use must be for the ozonator. Correct?

My bigger question is related to where do I splice in the ozonator's injector. I'm assuming it's that orange-ish tube I'm holding in my hand in the pic above. Is that correct? I can't find any other tubing that would seem to fit the bill. Everything else that's accessible in the compartment there is either for a pump or for a jet, or it's a drain tube or air tube. And my tub does have an outlet on the other side that the manual calls the outlet for optional ozone. I haven't traced that orange-ish tube over to that outlet (I'd have to dig out insulation to do that), but I'm assuming that's where it goes. It seems to match given where the orange tube is in my system and how it behaves when the jets/pumps are on.

Is that true? Am I presuming correctly? So, cut that orange tube, fit the injector into it in-line, then run the line from the injector up to the ozonator. Plug the ozonator's electrical into that white plug (hopefully they match!), make a little Hartford loop in the ozonator's line to ensure water doesn't track back into the unit, and that's it?

Old 06-23-20, 04:26 PM
P
Group Moderator
I'm not sure if the 1" (which used to be clear) tubing is correct. In order for the ozonator to work properly it needs a continuous flow of water. Your spa has two large jet pumps but I don't see a filtration pump. Does that spa have a filtration pump that runs 24/7? If so you put the venturi in the line after the pump. Make sure the venturi is pointing in the right direction. The air inlet line to the venturi should be facing up. Then route the air line as high as you can get it in the cabinet to help avoid siphoning if the power goes out. The ozone generator can be located almost anywhere but try to put it somewhere it can get cool, clean air so not near the main pump motors or heater.

The plug that came with my ozonator kit did not match the the one in my spa so I replaced it with a different one.

Old 06-23-20, 04:38 PM
S
No, my spa does not have a 24/7 filtration pump. One of the two pumps has two speed settings, and for filtration the spa runs that pump on the low setting twice a day.

That pump pulls from the filter compartment, through the heating element, and then out to all the jets on the far side of the tub. It's the same pump that the 1" tube in my picture splices off of, so that tube leaves the "filter" pump just after the heating element, but before the pump itself.

So when that pump is on, I can feel water coming out of the one special outlet (also on the far side of the spa). That outlet is what's labeled in the user manual as the outlet for optional ozone. When the pump is on high speed there's even more water pushing out of that outlet, but when that pump is off nothing comes out of the outlet.

Maybe that's why my ozonator will need to plug into the controller? Since my spa doesn't have a continuous flow of water anywhere, we want the ozonator to turn off when the pump isn't on (i.e. when there won't be any flow)?

Old 06-23-20, 05:13 PM
Received 427 Votes on 398 Posts
So I've never seen an ozonator installed in a spa without a recirc pump which is a constant flow. Without that constant flow no ozone thus no bacteria killing except for the short duration of time that the pump is running!

I honestly dont know if they are compatible!

But as I mentioned, I just disconnected mine over a year ago and have seen no decline in water quality, they wanted around $150 for parts to get it running again!

Old 06-23-20, 08:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,343 Votes on 1,241 Posts
NOTE: The optional FreshWater® III ozone system only works when the low speed pump is running.

From what I'm seeing..... your model of spa is 240v only. That means it's wired/connected with two hot wires and a ground. That would mean there is no 120v available. Not sure what voltage your ozone unit is.

If you open the controller..... you should see connections labeled on the board for the ozone unit.
2007 owners manual (pdf)

Old 06-24-20, 10:45 AM
S
Awesome, thanks everyone. They must be compatible, for the tub's owner's manual talks about Ozone all over the place. Even has the specially-labeled "optional outlet for Ozone" on the far side of the tub.

And that 4-pin connector coming out of the control box - what else would it be for? I don't see any other reason to have that. Manual refers several times to the Freshwater III system (same manufacturer as the tub itself) so I can't imagine these are not going to work together.

I'm sure it would be better if the pump were on constantly, and I can increase the amount of time the pump runs during its filtration cycles. Maybe I'll do that once the ozonator is in.

Old 06-24-20, 04:23 PM
P
Group Moderator
If you have a multi meter or voltage tester you can check that connector to see if it provides AC when the filtration cycle is ON and there is no power when the filtration cycle is OFF. Of course you still need to confirm that the voltage matches your ozone generator, 120 or 240.

Old 06-26-20, 12:45 PM
S
Clarifying question (for I realize I was making a certain assumption that may not be true):

For these pumps, the tube that's coming straight in to one end of the pump (in my case, the white pipe that's coming in from the far left side of the equipment compartment) is the pipe that's pulling water into the pump. Correct? So the pipe that comes off the top of the pump, and then moves right across the compartment and into the heater, etc. is the outlet for the pump. Correct?

In other words, when looking at my equipment compartment (pic included again below), as for the pump that closer to the camera, the water is generally moving from left to right. Yes?

If so, that would mean the water is pressurized and moving up, and then leftward again, in that orange-ish hose?

Old 06-26-20, 03:09 PM
P
Group Moderator
Centrifugal pumps suck in the middle and blow out the side. So, the white pipe coming in horizontally from the left is the input to the pump and the output is the vertical with the 90° fitting.

Where does the 1" orangish/used to be clear tubing lead to? For an ozonator you'd want the output to come out in the bottom of the spa if possible so the ozone can bubble up through more water for more contact time. The spa I retrofitted it output about half way up the side of the spa and worked OK. If you do put the venturi in the orangeish line I would put it close to the heater end so the ozone has more contact time with the water.

Old 06-26-20, 03:17 PM
S
I'm not entirely sure where that tube leads - I'd have to pull out insulation from two sides of the tub to verify, and I don't want to start messing with all that.

But there is a special outlet on the far side of the tub that the user manual labels "outlet for optional ozone." It's not all the way at the bottom of the tub but it's close, just above one of the floor drains. Seems to me a fair assumption that that 1" orange-ish tube leads over to that. The current behavior of that outlet matches the pump that orange-ish tube splices off of, so I'm reasonably certain that tube is dedicated to that "ozone outlet." That would make sense in terms of ease-of-installation, since the tub calls itself ozone-ready.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: