Cracked and leaking PVC coupling

Old 07-14-20, 03:52 PM
Z
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Cracked and leaking PVC coupling

Per the photos, I have a PVC coupling (black) that has cracked and is leaking on a Divine model
CL501X1, SN 56563-021712220029. It appears the black PVC coupling is glued to the white valve box. Question #1: Is there a way to put plumbers putty, or other substance on the interior of the coupling that would stop the leaks? Question #2: If not is there a way to cut the black coupling from the valve box and re-glue a new part to the white valve box?

The tub is two months out of warranty and Devine won't budge on the warranty.

Thanks.

Old 07-14-20, 04:44 PM
Received 427 Votes on 398 Posts
First, there is no putty that will work, it needs to be replaced.

The black fitting is the male adapter to the heater, I just changed mine out and too bad your not in the neighborhood since I have a couple of extra ones.

The white box is a slice valve to isolate the heater if it ever needs replacing.

I cant see what is to the left of the slice valve but it needs to be cut there and a new slice valve and heater adapter replaced.

Most any pool/spa or on-line stores will have them, very common parts!

Old 07-15-20, 08:04 AM
Z
Thanks, that's what I thought, but I thought I'd ask.

Old 08-05-20, 01:39 PM
Z
Ok, finally got the parts from Devine to replace the slice valve assembly. Only one of the parts is marked "PVCI Schedule 40." Oatey has conflicting info on their site, none of which recommended blue glue. So, what glue should I use and do I need a primer? I have some "hot medium blue lava" glue. Will that work without a primer? It appears some kind of blue was used on the original assembly. Thanks.

Old 08-05-20, 03:30 PM
Received 427 Votes on 398 Posts
I have always used standard heavy duty clear glue for all PVC work, the only unique glue I used on my spa was for the flex hose but honestly it didn't seem any different!

Primer, always, never glue any PVC without, it may not be needed but for the couple bucks it cost do you really want to risk any less than perfect joint????????

Old 08-06-20, 10:06 AM
Z
Oatey finally called back and recommended I use the blue lava without primer. Like I said, confusing. Thanks for the advice.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: