Hot Tub Issue

Old 07-21-20, 03:04 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hot Tub Issue

Hi everyone,

Looking for a little bit of advice with my hot tub. I feel that the issue I'm about to describe is an issue within one of the pumps however I'm not entirely certain as I'm being told it is a main board issue.

First, a little bit of background. This hot tub is a Catalina Manhattan tub it's from 2012, and it's the model with four speakers around the top. I've had it for about 2 years myself, purchasing it used, and have had no issues whatsoever with it until recently. This particular tub has two pumps, pump one - which I will refer to as pump one - has two speeds a low-speed and high-speed. The circulating pump uses pump one on the low speed. The tub has a second pump, pump 2 - witch from here on in I will refer to as pump 2 - this pump has one speed high mode.

The initial issue was a leak, which was found to be in pump 1 and a seal needed to be replaced. The seal was replaced and the hot tub no longer leaks. Which seems all fine and dandy except this has led into the issue we have now.

The seal was replaced by a shop, who advised me that the impeller had to be broken because it was seized within the pump. The impeller was replaced the seal is replaced it was tested as working and given back to me.

After installing the pumps and filling the tub back up when it came time to turn it on, the procedure indicates that the tub would go into a priming mode which lasts for 4 minutes and then the circulating pump would come on to circulate the water and it's essentially ready-to-use. What is happening is that when the circulating pump is called on pump one simply hums and will eventually turn itself off, water is not circulated. If one was to trigger the pump to move into a high speed mode it would initiate , water would circulate and things would seem right with the world, turning off the high-speed and allowing the low-speed to take over would also work. I will note that it does sound like marbles within the pump.

If the pump was to stop, such as not calling for the circulating pump to be on or killing the power to the tub - when trying to initiate the pump again will result in the hum and no circulation. It appears that pump one will only run on low speed, actually circulating water, if high-speed has been initiated and the pump does not stop when going back down to low speed. If one was to stop the pump and circulation is not required, reinitiating the pump would return the hum in the motor which will eventually turn itself off. This is actually resulted in a few errors that I've received, such as; low-flow, high temperature sensor triggered, and heater dry.

To me, I feel that these errors are because of no flow of water when water is supposed to be flowing. Such as when the pump is essentially stuck.

Has anybody else come across something like this, does it sound like a pump issue or a main board issue, and do you have any ideas what I can do to rectify this?

Thanks!

Last edited by Ryan Wilson; 07-21-20 at 03:08 PM. Reason: All paragraph breaks were gone after submission. Had to re-add cause looked terrible.
Old 07-21-20, 05:28 PM
Received 427 Votes on 398 Posts
Sorry confusing, you state that the recirc pump hums, but will cycle up to high speed, then return to recir mode and water flows!

If this was the same pump that was repaired was it functioning correctly then? Seems strange that when they got it it had a stuck impeller if it was working correctly!

Old 07-21-20, 10:32 PM
R
Hi Marq,

Yes it is confusing.

Let me try to clear this up.
Before the pump went in for the leak repair, it worked fine other than the leak. But, they tell me the impeller had to be broken by them as it was "siezed" in order for them to replace the seal.

Fast forward to now.

If the board is calling for heat, and triggers the low speed of pump 1 for heat, it hums and no water flow, if I intervine and trigger high speed the pump will kick into highspeed and water will flow. Turning off highspeed (when the board is calling for heat) will automatically send the pump to low speed and it will continue to push water through the system at low speed. However, if it is not calling for heat, turning off highspeed will turn the pump off. A push of the button to turn the pump on low will result in the hum again. (The process above repeats).

Does that make more sense?

I honestly feel that something was not put back together properly (sound of marbles, stuck/humming motor) but I am not sure.

Old 07-22-20, 01:20 AM
Received 427 Votes on 398 Posts
I would have to agree, the board appears to be working the issue seems to be the pump, almost as if the extra torque from high speed is required to break the impeller loose for it to run at low speed!

Id be pulling it out for a second look!

Old 07-22-20, 08:09 PM
R
Thank you for the reassurance. The tech that did the initial repair is suggesting to swap the two hot leads on the board (maybe wired the pump backwards?)

I may give that a shot, and when it makes no difference, I will insist on another home visit for a closer look.

Thanks again!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: