Polaris UWF broke off in the plaster

Old 07-21-20, 05:38 PM
Received 13 Votes on 12 Posts
Unhappy Polaris UWF broke off in the plaster

Today I attempted to remove my Polaris Universal Wall Fitting to add a restrictor disc. Instead of unscrewing, the UWF broke apart, with some in my hand and some embedded in the plaster. I don't know if perhaps my plaster guys fitted it before the plaster was set, but now half of it is really well stuck in there. I am having trouble grabbing on to it with any of my available tools. I have already damaged the plaster a little trying to wrestle it free.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions on getting the remains out of the wall without further plaster damage. I don't care if I have to crumble the UWF to bits as long as I don't damage the pool any further. Photo was taken from above looking down into the pool. You can see my clumsy plaster damage on the right.

Old 07-21-20, 05:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,342 Votes on 1,240 Posts
I cropped and enlarged your picture

My Sylvan pool has similar fittings.
Inside that fitting is threaded..... right ?

Take a close quarters hacksaw and cut the plastic where the red line is. Stop just before hitting the threads. Use a screwdriver near the arrow to snap the plastic.

After you get the piece out.... use a still nylon brush or wire brush to clean the threads out.

Old 07-21-20, 06:15 PM
Thanks for the quick reply.

The inside is supposed to be threaded. But I can't tell from feeling around due to the remaining plastic. I had this pool replastered in 2018 and did not watch as the UWF was fitted. It's possible the UWF is adhered to the plaster if the UWF was fitted before the plaster was fully set. The UWF didn't turn at all, it just broke. It's supposed to unscrew without big muscle effort.

The hacksaw is a good idea. But I'm worried about the screwdriver. I fear the plaster might give way before the plastic snaps. Maybe once it's sawed through, a needlenose might be safer to use?

Old 07-21-20, 06:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,342 Votes on 1,240 Posts
My pool is over 45 years old. Never has been replastered. Painted plenty of times.

That looks like a surface coat over existing concrete. Doubtful they changed the in wall fitting.
Sure..... needlenose will work too.
It shouldn't take much to break that plastic.

Old 07-24-20, 03:07 PM
Thanks, @Pjmax, the mni-hacksaw did the trick.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: