Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs
Reload this Page >

Low pressure on skimmer returns and vanquish floor cleaning jets 24k gallon pool

Low pressure on skimmer returns and vanquish floor cleaning jets 24k gallon pool

Old 08-26-20, 01:10 PM
D
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts

I noticed after heat pump was installed (mid June) that pressure in floor jets was a little low. I shut both skimmer returns and main drain, opened 1 at a time to try and force out any debris. Didnít change much, but then it seemed like everything was fine, so. It sure what happened.

A few weeks ago after a big storm, low pressure. I did same process and was able to force out a lot of debris from main drain. Was better after that.

pool company canít get here until Saturday so I am tying to troubleshoot on my own. Any suggestions?? Besides opening returns 1 at a time to increase pressure and possibly force out anything thatís stuck.

also the filter basket attached to the pump is not filling up completely. I see a big air pocket and it wonít dissipate. Usually it would disappear on its own, or I would bleed the filter housing as air would collect inside the tank.

all skimmer baskets and main drain and pump baskets are clean.

Old 08-26-20, 03:42 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 752 Votes on 691 Posts
If you did not add a separate pump for the heating circuit and are using your normal filtration pump adding a heater will reduce the flow rate. Every inch of pipe, every bend and every fitting adds resistance and reduces flow. Is there a way you can bypass the heater and see if the flow improves?

Old 08-26-20, 11:07 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,343 Votes on 1,241 Posts
Low pressure on skimmer returns
Do you mean low suction ?
The skimmers are suction.

Shutting off any suction line will not increase water flow..... it will actually reduce it.
Do you have a gauge on the filter? That should be an indication of system performance.
Have you backwashed the filter ?

Old 08-27-20, 08:18 AM
D
Pilot Dane - no way to bypass heater as far as I know. Heat pump was off most of day yesterday, but water still flows through pump just doesnít get heated, so I gues that really wouldnít matter.

PJmax - I would say low suction AND low pressure. Skimmers arenít pulling in what they usually do, and floor jets and down jets arenít as powerful as usual. When I shut both skimmers, there is less water flow in total into the pump, but seems the suction is greater at the main drain, which is why I was able to force out debris after a previous storm. Wondering if the pump is going? Sound the same as always, 2HP jandy stealth 10 years old. Isnít suction a function of pressure since this is a closed system? Low pressure from pump = low suction? The filter basket at the pump is not completely filling up, with a big air bubble at the top. This usually happens when I open the pump basket for cleaning or the chlorinator to add tabs. Air bubbles usually dissipate after a few minutes of running.

can't backwash, I have a cartridge filter. I can open it up to see if thereís anything there, was trying to avoid that if I could. I did open and clean cartridges after pool was opened to get all pollen and dirt out of filters. Gauge on filter tank is reading 30psi.

Old 08-27-20, 10:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,343 Votes on 1,241 Posts
30psi would be very high for my pool. I typically run in the 15psi range.
All the larger pools I've worked on have used sand/DE type filters...... including my own.
I would expect to be cleaning a cartridge every 2-3 weeks in a large pool.

Is there a bypass around the filter ?
My filter has aux circulation which bypasses the filter. Every system is different.

When I shut both skimmers, there is less water flow in total into the pump, but seems the suction is greater at the main drain
Yes.... that is correct as you're drawing all the water to the pump thru one location.

I shut both skimmer returns and main drain, opened 1 at a time to try and force out any debris.
Shut both skimmers..... not returns...... and main drain.
Force debris out of where ?

There should not be a lot of debris processed thru the main drain. Dirt ok..... leaves aren't good.
Certainly not enough of something to cause a restriction.

It doesn't sound like we can do much here.
Pictures of what you have would be helpful. ... How-to-insert-pictures.

Old 08-28-20, 06:12 AM
P
Group Moderator
Since you mention that this pressure problem started when you had the heater installed I would start there. Resistance anywhere downstream of the pump can cause a pressure rise in your filter. I would backwash and clean your filters and strainers to see if that helps. If the pressure remains high I'd look into the heater and how it's piped. Your pump is decent sized so it needs adequate piping on the output to accept it's volume without restricting flow.

Old 08-28-20, 07:54 AM
D
PJmax
Force debris out of where ?
-

i was able to force debris out of main drain. This was after pool was first opened, and also after a storm, where leaves and twigs fell to bottom of pool and got sucked into the main drain. There is a separate basket on the pool deck that filters the main drain.

also pool filters are 4 very large filters that are typically cleaned once a year at end of season and replaced every few years. Been doing this for 10 years. 2 years ago I replaced filters.

Old 09-02-20, 01:43 PM
D
Ok, problem solved. I opened up the filter canister and the cartridges were absolutely disgusting! Iíve never sent them this bad after a full season, and this year I cleaned them in June after all of the pollen was skimmed out of the pool. I have no idea if this is from pollen, or something that got in the lines that shouldnít be there? 1st 2 filters are clean (hosed each one down for about 20-30 minutes)

Last year I forgot to clean out cartridges after pool was closed, so they sat outside all winter in the cold weather. Wondering if when I cleaned them out in June, I didnít get everything?

Old 09-02-20, 04:58 PM
P
Group Moderator
NEVER let a filter cartridge dry out. The gunk on there will harden and become much more difficult to almost impossible to remove. They are much easier to clean if you pull them out of the housing and clean them right then. If you must wait put them in water or seal them up in a garbage bag so they don't dry out. But, don't doddle as they can get quite funky if sealed up wet.

I use a pressure washer to clean my filters. It's much more effective than a garden hose and I end up using much less water. I have a electric pressure washer that's pretty good. My more powerful gas pressure washer I run at idle to keep the pressure lower so it doesn't damage the filter.

Old 09-02-20, 08:04 PM
D
This was the only year out of 11 years I let the cartridges dry out. All the crud mustíve been super hard and when I cleaned it out in June I prob didnít get everything. Now itís making sense. I bet once the heater was installed, the 85-87 degree water loosened up the crud on cartridges and it started causing Pressure problems. I will look into a lower psi pressure washer to clean them this fall.

thanks!!

Old 09-03-20, 06:38 AM
P
Group Moderator
There are also enzyme cleaners specially for pool & spa filters you can spray or soak the filters which makes them easier to clean.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: