Roots growing in fill line

Old 11-07-20, 09:31 AM
K
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Roots growing in fill line

Does anyone have any experience with this? We've been told that the fill line likely has a crack and roots from the ground are growing inside of it. The roots are small little white roots. The roots plug up the fill line and the pool will not fill. However, we are not leaking water, no huge water bills. Has anyone ever fixed this problem? Will we have to dig up the concrete pad to get to the fill line & repair it? We are trying to find the least expensive way to deal with this problem. Thank you for any insight & help!

Old 11-07-20, 11:42 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
It sounds like you are describing a pipe that connects between the filling valve and the pool. You can confirm by turning on the fill valve and if no water gets to the pool then it must be going somewhere, possibly soaking into the ground if the pipe is broken.

One simple way to get around the problem is to manually top off the pool with a garden hose or install a new fill line on the surface (ugly, but it's cheap).

KShear voted this post useful.
Old 11-07-20, 12:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

It's actually rare for a pool to have a fill water line. I only know of one in my area and it was a high end custom pool. Everyone else.... like myself.... just uses a garden hose. If your pool requires an automatic fill line.... then it has a lot of loss requiring un-attended replenishment.

Old 11-08-20, 07:50 AM
K
Thanks, Pete. I should have stated that I live in Arizona. Automatic pool fill lines are very common here due to the heat and sun most of the year.

Old 11-08-20, 08:01 AM
K
Thank you. We do know that no water is getting to the pool. Our water bill hasn't gone up significantly, so we also don't think it's going elsewhere -- Maybe because we've been using the hose to fill the pool it stops attempting to fill. These little tiny roots growing there does seem like a very unique problem. I've searched the internet and do not find any problems similar to this with fill lines. We are wondering if there is a way to slide some sort of root-proof sleeve into the fill line. The issue seems to be limited to the short line from the pool to the filler reservoir. We will think about the above-ground replacement fill line - but you're right, would be so ugly. If you have any other ideas, please share!

Old 11-08-20, 01:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
You never mentioned what the construction was of the fill line.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: