Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs
Reload this Page >

Focus Temp International Titanium Pool heater issue

Old 11-27-20, 01:07 PM
V
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hey,
bought a house with a pool and sauna, which also has an electric Focus Temp International Titanium Pool heat pump. Only notice one issue with the system. Previous home owners are gone and Focus temp International is out of business, so I figured I'd post the symptom here to see if anybody had any ideas.

Pool heater works great. It gets that sauna temp up in no time. However, if you dial down the temp some and then back up again, the only way you get it to run and heat again is if you flip the breaker on and off.

In other words, let's say the water temp is running at 85 degrees, but you decide to dial it down to 80 degrees - the unit then goes off like it should. But, then 10 minutes later, you decide to go back to unit and raise it to 90 degrees. Well, it should come back on and continue heating, but it does'nt. The display is still on, but neither the fan or the compressor will come back on (after you have dialed it down and it went off in response), until you throw the breaker off and on again. Strange.

Last edited by vett82ce; 11-27-20 at 01:26 PM.
Old 11-27-20, 08:07 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,342 Votes on 1,240 Posts
Is there a model number on there ?

I work on pool heaters but don't recall working on a Focus Temp unit.
When you raise the temperature.... are you waiting at least five minutes for the compressor to start ?
It may have a startup delay.

Old 11-28-20, 07:17 AM
V
The model # was a sticker on the unit but it wore off. Titan, which is a major Canadian brand, said mine was a knockoff of their models. I found an older Titan brand that it resembles and have been utilizing its user manual, but the manual is not the Focus Temp. Focus Temp was bought out by Water Co. eventually. Products | Titan Pool Heater

As far as waiting 5 minutes goes, I believe we've waited more than 5 minutes for it to respond, before we flipped the breaker to start it, but I will have to verify that. I'll get it started and wait 10 minutes to make sure the next time we are there (we havnt moved there yet).

One other thing I failed to mention, whenever we turn it on, the fan always starts immediately, then the compressor follows a few minutes later. A few times, the compressor started but then stopped and threw the code - LP. After that it continually tries until it can start successfully. It does not do it all the time. I looked around online and found out it would do that if it was below 53 degrees outside, which it was when we threw that LP code last. Hopefully thats why we saw that code a few times. However, could there be another issue causing the LP error? It heats the sauna up fine, and fairly quickly once its running.

Old 11-28-20, 10:21 AM
V
Had a guy look at it today. He said it was low on freon and will charge it. Not sure that is the only issue, but we will see where this goes...

Old 12-01-20, 05:58 PM
Received 32 Votes on 31 Posts
Knowing HVAC a compressor failing to start may be a faulty start capacitor this is a cheap & quick fix to try before patching a leak in the system and adding refrigerant which may be a fairly expensive repair depending on the type of refrigerant if it is R22 look to be spending over $600 depending on how much is needed so check the capacitor for the compressor first before anything else is done.

Old 12-01-20, 07:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,342 Votes on 1,240 Posts
Usually if the compressor won't start due to a capacitor problem it will either groan loudly or trip the breaker. I don't think low refrigerant is the problem either unless it's tripping the low pressure switch. It sounds more like the unit is going into overheat shutdown. That would be caused by hot water to remain inside the unit on power down and cause it to overheat.

Old 12-02-20, 05:29 PM
V
He said it was a pound low and since he's charged it, it doesnt have the same problem of shutting down and starting back up correctly on cue, as I stated in my OP. That seems to be OK now.

However, after playing with it some now and operating it, I do have one question on what to expect from it (since I've never owned one before). This unit is from 05. The company has went out of business, but the unit is a knockoff from Titan Company out of Canada. Would'nt a standard feature in any of these units be to have some kindof sensor that detects if water is flowing or not, and if not, the unit would not run?

Reason I ask is, if I turn off my sauna pump, while the unit is running and heating, this causes all water flow to stop circulating, but my unit continues to run? That doesnt seem like a good design, because what it does then is just acheive its target temp quickly (because it just samples the water exchanger). Last time I ran it I tried that test to see what it did. Unit was running, turned off the pump, unit got to its target temp in 60 seconds and turned off. However, it turned off and threw an error code of LP...which is pretty much it's default code for anything that goes wrong.

Is there some kind of sensor in that thing that should not let the unit work if water isnt being forced through it, and if so, where is it usually located?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: