Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs
Reload this Page >

Spa Pump Low Speed Issues - not previously addressed

Old 12-29-20, 07:42 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hi there, I'm new to this forum and looking for some direction on an issue that seems to be unique to what I've been able to find so far.

I have a waterway executive 56 3hp pump for my old Sundance spa. It sat for a while over the summer after a move and the motor shaft rusted and caused some problems. After replacing the seal, impeller and motor bearings, I have yet another problem - the low speed doesn't work unless you give it a bit of a spin. High speed works fine. This motor has a start winding vs the start capacitor. The starting switch in the motor operates properly (both mechanically and electrically). I have checked the resistance in the windings and I do not have a short or open in the start winding.

So, any ideas on what direction to go with this thing would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by garwayne; 12-29-20 at 07:43 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-29-20, 09:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,952 Upvotes on 3,545 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Your Waterway Executive 56 pump uses a centrifugal switch and a starting capacitor.
The cap is under that cover.

Old 01-01-21, 11:53 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply. it's my understanding that is the 'run' capacitor. In any event, I have replaced that with no change in the operation.

One thing I'd add is that when putting an ohm meter across the windings and manually moving the centrifugal switch you can see the start winding resistance drop out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: