hot tub chemical help

Old 11-26-23, 01:37 PM
H
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
hot tub chemical help

First time hot tub owner and im not having fun... Its been running for a few months now with no issues other than fighting with chemical levels. I only use it 2 times a week and keep it at 80 when not in use. Its about 200 gallons so pretty small in comparison to others. Right now my chlorine levels disappear after 2 days of no use and i feel like that's not common. The chlorine I am using are large tabs that are good for 500 gallon spas (I break them into pieces first) but its also almost 3 years old, shouldn't matter though because I didn't have this issue when the water was new. My pH level is usually around 7.5 which is also a constant battle but usually only once a week. I check it with both strips and I bought a digital reader as well to make sure its dead on. The hardness is usually 300 or below, it drops a lot i think because im using so much chlorine but I feel its needed. and the alkaline is usually low as well around 80 or less, that is also a constant battle now that water is 3 months old. Google says the most likely cause of this issue is biofilm. My tub surface is not slimy and i really don't think the hose area should be either. The tub hasn't had a chance to sit without chlorine. IF this still could be the case, is there a way to test for biofilm without draining? I live in NE Ohio and draining and refilling is not a good option in the winter. Any thoughts?

Old 11-26-23, 02:08 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,107 Upvotes on 1,886 Posts
Are you periodically shocking the spa?

Since every chemistry you mentioned is not stable a drain & clean might not be a bad idea.

Old 11-26-23, 03:34 PM
H
Up until last week I only shocked once in 3 months. I was under the impression it was only used to kick the tub back into shape if it started to become cloudy or gross looking. Then I read its good to do it once a week or even after each use. Then I also learned there is chlorine free shock. Do I need both or is one better than the other? By clean do you mean like flushing the lines with a cleaner after drained?

Old 11-26-23, 05:35 PM
T
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Have you considered Bromide? I have been using it for 20 years.
I live in NE Ohio too - look for a warm spell and change the water. The make a cleaner (i think they call it a flush).
I change my water whenever I start to get foam.

Old 11-26-23, 08:04 PM
H
I have no foam running or not the water is crystal clear. Any chance my strips are absolutely junk?

Old 11-27-23, 05:05 AM
T
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
You can take a water sample to Litehouse to see if the strips are accurate.I use a test kit.

My main point is that I have found that changing the water is relatively simple compared to messing around with chemistry.I also think Bromide is more stable in a Spa.

Half a capful of shock after every use.

Old 11-27-23, 07:23 AM
P
Group Moderator
If your chlorine is not remaining in the spa then you may not be using enough or the spa is dirty. You can try shocking the spa but since you are having trouble with everything I'd drain the spa, clean, and refill. Right from the beginning get you water chemistry in order.

Cleanliness is also important. Dirt, oils and other stuff from your body does not magically disappear. It all ends up in the spa water. So, being clean going in can make maintaining the water chemistry easier, especially with a small spa. The chlorine you put into the spa is being consumed as it oxidizes (breaks down) the contaminates. This is where weekly shocking helps.

Old 11-27-23, 01:11 PM
H
Just watched a Ytube video about adding chemicals to spa, this specific video claimed that adding chlorine or shock into spa then closing the cover is bad because all of the crap tries to escape and cant so it settles back into the water. Is there truth to this? I always close my cover after adding chemicals because its cold outside. Maybe thats why my chlorine dies quickly? I know im adding enough because several times I have used a strip 30 min after adding then again the next day or before I get in.

Old 11-27-23, 02:45 PM
P
Group Moderator
The spa is an enclosed system. Not much leaves. Dirt, dead skin cells, oil & hair don't magically disappear. Everything you bring into the spa is still in there. The filtration can capture gunk but until you clean, all the nasty is still in the water. The more gunk in the spa the more chlorine it takes to keep it from becoming a biohazard. That is why keeping it clean and maintaining the sanitizer level is important.

Most people think that because they can smell chlorine when they lift the lid that they have to keep it contained. Chlorine can only escape the spa as a gas or by being broken down. Once it's a gas it doesn't go back into the water so letting it go doesn't hurt.

The bulk of the chlorine in the water is consumed as it oxidizes the bad stuff. If there isn't any bad stuff chlorine can linger for several days. If your chlorine is disappearing quickly it's likely because it's consuming itself killing biologicals and breaking down oils. That is why clean is important.

Keeping your other water chemistry numbers where they belong will help your chlorine last longer.

Old 11-27-23, 07:29 PM
H
I meant as chlorine like you said "oxidizes the bad stuff". The video explain when this happens if the bad stuff cant escape via a gas then is collects on the cover then drips back into the water, rinse repeat until the chlorine is gone. If I get another 50s day then ill drain and refill.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: