Small Hose Leak Advice

Old 05-22-24, 03:53 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Small Hose Leak Advice

Hi,
I have an older Hotspring hot tub with a leak that is accessible from the front panel. It appears to be a 1/4 inch vinyl tube that is connected to a tap in a pvc "L" pipe in the outflow just before the pump. Someone mentioned they thought it was an antifreeze line. The small tube has come loose and the leak is coming out of the tap in the pvc. I think it should be a fairly easy fix but I'm looking for advice on the best and easiest ways to fix this. Picture attached but happy to provide any more info. Thank you!

Temp pic posted by PJmax

Last edited by PJmax; 05-22-24 at 04:23 PM.
Old 05-22-24, 04:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,099 Upvotes on 3,682 Posts
Welcome to the forums,

That is a Spears vacuum break fitting.
It looks like it was custom made. May be a bit tough to repair.

It may just be a problem with the fitting in the 90.

Spears vacuum break fitting

Old 05-23-24, 03:41 AM
B
Received 314 Upvotes on 277 Posts
Two things I would do. First replace spring hose clamp with a screw type clamp. Second is cut off 1/2 inch of hose from end if available. Looks deteriorated. The hose barb on the 90 looks like a repair so don't use much pressure at this connection.

Old 05-23-24, 02:37 PM
G
Thank you both for the quick reply PJmax beelzebob ! That is definitely helpful. I think it was custom done by the previous owner as well.

If I was going to go the route of putting in a new break fitting, do you think I can pull out the other 2 main hose connections? They look maybe glued in with some sort of gasket. I suppose I can just cut them out. What is the best way to seal between the larger hoses and the 90 fitting?

Thanks again!

Old 05-23-24, 03:40 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,265 Upvotes on 2,018 Posts
Option A: It looks like a glued fitting. I would get some new flexible PVC tubing, glue, a union fitting and any other fittings you might need/want to replace. Then it's up you to figure out how much you want to replace. Hopefully you can run at least one pipe new back to it's source (the pump?). The other pipe may be harder to access to replace so you might want to cut it and join to your new pipe with the union.

Option B: Fix the fitting that is there now. First, check to see if it's something simple like a loose clamp. Worst case, you can glue a new barbed nipple into the elbow or reglue the existing one.

Old 05-23-24, 06:12 PM
G
Thank you, very helpful. I inspected further and the existing nipple unfortunately broke off too much for me to get the hose clamped back on. It was a metal nipple and didn't appear barbed. The glue looks difficult to remove and I'm unsure the correct way to tap a new one but I would love to avoid having to replace the pvc if possible.

Old 05-23-24, 07:05 PM
Group Moderator
They make a bunch of different thread size/pitch adapter fittings. These are some.
The home improvement stores carry them.
You should be able to screw one into your PVC fitting.

Old 05-23-24, 08:48 PM
G
Thank you PJmax . How would you recommend sealing the old broken connection or should I try to remove the old glue somehow? Really appreciate all the advice!

Old 05-24-24, 03:14 PM
P
Group Moderator
If you can get a grip on the old fitting you can try unscrewing it. If they glued it in place you may have to break it out or grind it out. Work carefully to avoid damaging the large PVC elbow and any connected piping. Once the old fitting is gone you can use a Dremel tool to clean up the area and glue a new fitting in place.

Old 05-24-24, 06:20 PM
G
Thank you Pilot Dane. I will give that a try and report back.

Old 05-24-24, 06:41 PM
Group Moderator
Not sure you can work on that with the spa full.
You can't have water coming out of that fitting while you are working on it.
Dane left some good ideas.

You definitely need to get down to the basic PVC fitting and seeing what can be done.
You can always epoxy in a fitting if need be.

Old 05-28-24, 06:29 PM
G
Definitely PJmax. Not doing the repair with water in the lines.

I was able to pull out most of the old fitting with some pliers and it appears to be a very odd piece(s) of brass. I was thinking of tapping the hole with new threads since all the appropriate barbed nipples seem to be threaded. I'm having trouble finding a pvc fitting that's 1/4 inch on both sides especially with a slip fitting rather than threads. If I do go the threaded route, do you think that will work? I assume I should seal with tape or thread sealant or should I go an epoxy route like was previously mentioned? Mainly having trouble finding the best fitting option and what to seal it with. Spears 460 fittings look perfect for the glue route but they only make them in 1/2 inch or larger. Thank you.

Last edited by PJmax; 05-28-24 at 07:04 PM. Reason: resized pic
Old 05-28-24, 07:12 PM
Group Moderator
Go to lowes or depot and wander around. They both have an aisle of small fittings in plastic and brass.
You don't need to thread the elbow.
Just epoxy the fitting place.
A two part epoxy would work fine...... two part epoxy

1/4" sprinkler drip fittings

Old 05-29-24, 04:59 AM
P
Group Moderator
My local auto parts store carries a brass fitting that would work. 1/4" NPT on one end and 1/4" barbed on the other. So, just check around for what's available in your area. You can also order what you need. I see that Amazon has them in plastic and stainless steel.

Regularly check the water chemistry in your spa. Brass is particularly suseptible to corrosion/erosion and you can see where a lot of the copper has been leached from the old fitting making it weak and brittle.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: