? about Pool Equipment

Old 10-29-01, 02:05 AM
Visiting Guest
My husband and I are planning on installing a pool soon. We have spoken with 2 different companies so far to get bids and information on what is included. One company sells a cartridge filter system and say it's better than the DE system. They also say they don't have to put a backwash pipe on the cartridge system. The other company says that the DE system is better. Anyone have experience with both and offer pros/cons?

Also, we have several large oak trees in our yard. One company said that we needed to dye the plaster darker or go with pebbletec because of staining, the other said we didn't. Any experience with that?

I really appreciate any advice, as we have never gone through this process before.
Linda

Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-01, 05:34 AM
Group Moderator
Can't speak to the staining question, but last year I ripped out the cartridge system I had and installed a DE system. You couldn't get me to put the cartridge system back in with a gun at my head! I was having a lot of trouble keeping the cartridge clean. It was a bad year for algae and every time I got the algae killed it clogged the filter, necessitating pulling the element and cleaning it (the filter cleaner is about $10 a bottle and got two cleanings I think out of the bottle). After a while even the chemical cleaner wasn't effective. New element, about $50. Got tired of that and installed DE system. Now I get 2 - 3 months out of a fresh recharge of the DE (at maybe a buck per recharge) and the water is absolutly crystal clear ALL the time (the DE filters down to a much smaller particle than either cartridge or sand). I have a vacant lot next to the side of the house with the filter so I just stick a 10 foot piece of 2" pvc pipe on the backwash outlet and flush away. Yours may take more plumbing, but overall you will be pleased at the ease, economy, and efficiency. Anything else I can tell you let me know. Good luck.

jws

Old 10-31-01, 06:01 AM
Visiting Guest
Smile Thank you!

Thank you so much for your input! I had heard from one other person to go with a DE system, but the 1 pool company said no, the cartridge is the way to go. I am so appreciative of your insight!

The other company we talked with had much more sound information, better equipment, and a better overall concept for the pool. They recommended a DE filter too, and now I feel comfortable with their recommendation, thanks!

BTW, do you know anything about the salt systems vs chlorine systems? I like the concept of the water being a little more gentle, but I want to make sure it still effectively cleans the water.

Thanks again!
Linda

Old 10-31-01, 06:32 AM
Group Moderator
Go to this thread for some discussion on salt v. chlorine:

http://forum.doityourself.com/showth...threadid=55765

Remembered seeing it a while back. We use an in-line autofeeder that takes 3" chlorine tabs, so all I know about salt systems is what I've picked up here.

BTW we're in SW Fla. The DE system I installed was a Hayward DE3600A that I got mail order via the web. Total with shipping was $434 to give you a reference point on how much the mark-up is when the pool guy sells you one.

jws

Old 10-31-01, 06:49 AM
Group Moderator
Additional item:

You'll note in that thread I mentioned DE systems and one of the contributors raised the question of DE being a possible carcinogen (along with, of course, about 50,000 other things we all come into contact on a daily basis).

The DE is a very fine powder, about like flour. Obviously to minimize any risk, you would want to handle it in such a way as to not create any airborne particles that might be inhaled. As I mentioned earlier I recharge 5 or 6 times a year and I have no concerns. There are other products that will work in the DE system supposedly just as well, but I'll be sticking with the DE at about $10 a box at Walmart.

Old 11-01-01, 03:54 AM
vscj
Visiting Guest
We know what your going thru. We bought our home with an existing pool but the filter and pump need replaced.Currently we have a cartridge system and it did work very well.Now we are debateing cartridge vs DE.We have a large inground.A trick we learned is instead of commercial cleaner use dishwasher detergant and if it is really dirty soak overnite.It worked excellant to clean it and we had several water problems.I know of a great site full of tricks and info and a great forum strictly for pools and hottubs.Especially if you want to save money. email me if you want to know about it. good luck

Old 11-08-01, 01:30 AM
Visiting Guest
Smile Wow! Thanks!

That is so helpful! I'll have to pull out the brochure, I know one company was selling the Hayward system, and it was *NOT* under $500.00 I'll try and get them to do a breakdown on equipment pricing.

Unfortunately, I'm sure I'll have more questions, so it's good to know there's lots of help here!

Thanks!
Linda

Old 01-08-02, 03:57 PM
Visiting Guest
Smile pool filters

I don't know why someone did not suggest a sand filter system
for you swimming pool! I have had a DE system and it is a real
messy job to clean. With a sand filter all you do is back wash
when the pressure gauge calls for it! You replace the sand
about once every 4 or 5 years! It is really simple! I am a single
mom and do all of this pool cleaning on my own, that's how easy
it is. My filter is mfg. by Hayward.

Old 01-09-02, 12:29 AM
Group Moderator
Well, personally, I chose to switch from filter cartridge to DE vs sand because after doing some research, the DE filtering capability was much higher than the sand, i.e. filters down to smaller micron particles. I have no problem cleaning mine; backwash and recharge with DE powder. I haven't had to dismantle mine to clean out the screens, so that could be more involved, but it's not an every year thing (haven't had mine apart in first 3 years of use).

Old 01-17-02, 08:47 AM
davedrew
Visiting Guest
I do not have experience using any other filtration system but sand, so I can't comment on the others. I will say that in the 18 years I have had my in ground 20 x 40 pool...sand is the only filter system I have used. It is a little "stinky" job when the sand needs changing (every few years..) but other than that..it has been effortless. by the way.....I have always used chlorine and know there are probably better chemicals...but I like using chlorine and understand how to keep it maintained!

Old 01-19-02, 07:06 PM
Roy T
Visiting Guest
When my pool was built a sand filter was installed. About 12 years later I decided to try a DE filter after hearing how much better they were. The DE filter did make the water clearer and I believe it is a better filter but not for me. I do not have an enclosure and get oakl leaves and other organic stuff in my pool very frequently. The DE filter required very frequent backwashing and recharging which became a pain in the butt. My cleaner would't work most of the time and due to the frequent backwashing and cleaning of the DE I went back to the sand filter. Now I am not a slave to my pool anymore. If I had an enclosure I might go for the DE filter but that's not the filter for me. Now I can keep my pool clean and backwashing is a snap with no messy DE to contend with.

Old 01-20-02, 12:45 PM
davedrew
Visiting Guest
Roy T,
Thank you for the comparison. I had thought about changing to another system at some point. I will still stick with sand. I too have many trees and other stuff around with no enclosure. Though I am very content with sand...I am like many others, always looking for something "easier and quicker" when it comes to maintaining the cement pond! You made my mind up for me! davedrew

Old 01-29-02, 06:42 PM
sand

have used the same sand filter for 28 years and have had no problems.

Old 02-05-02, 07:53 AM
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb I'll have to look into those!

I'll have to check into the sand filters, honestly I had never heard of them before, and we have several friends who have pools. I wonder if they are not as prevalant in my area (North Texas), and if so, why?

We did decide to go with the salt vs the chlorine, as we liked the idea of softer water.

Our new home is supposed to be completed on February 26th, so we are hoping to start pool construction Feb 27th. I'll give them a call and ask about the sand filters now!

Thanks!
Linda

PS - Just wait til it's installed - there are going to be LOTS of maintenance questions posted here

Old 12-25-04, 11:56 AM
pool equipment

maby I can clearify a few things ?

a pool filter is like a car oil filter in as much as its sole function is to filter out particulates, there are basically 3 types of filters for pools today, the oldest being sand [ actually they have been up-dated from the types used 40 yrs ago ] the ones you can buy today are Rapid Rate sand filters, but we refer to them as simply Sand Filters, then theres Diatomeateous Earth filters commonly refered to as D E filters, and then there are Cartridge filters which use an element generally of poleyester . to give a more clearer understanding of which filter fliters out the smaller particels, lets look at a few things, a human hair is apx. 5 microns in size , a sand filter and a cartridge filter [ when clean ] traps particles as small as 16 microns where as a D E filter traps particles as small as 1 micron, there are filter AIDS available on the market that basically coagulate and or collect small particles into larger particles thereby allowing cartridge and sand filters to do a better job of removing particles. another " problem " if you will with a sand or cartridge filter is related to flow rate, for example if your filter / pump plumbing system is capable of flowing say 50 gal of water per minute, with a Cartridge or Sand filter they must run longer to remove the same amount of particles as a D E filter [ thus costing more in electricity] also as the Sand and Cartridge filter gets dirty with particles they then filter finer particles but the flow rate slows way down it can be a catch 22, in some locales by local codes you cannot dispose of D E on the ground or in the gutter it must go into a " P - Trap " which goes directly into the sewer not a septic tank.

there are many different issues involved in clear, sanitary pool water, each pool has there own set of problems, which we can discuss later.

another subject that was brought up was chlorine generating systems. there are many ways to disenfect pools / spas one which is chlorine, in the chlorine generating systems there is an amount of salt added to the pool the generating system split the salt molecule apart Via electrolis releasing the chlorine from the salt , very effective & desireable way to sanitize your pool I have installed & repaired 100 or so in the past and the water is silky, no chlorine odors, and no skin irritations, there are many different brands on the market and not all are the same.

lots of luck if I can be of future help post here or e-mail me directly

steve

Last edited by stevie3x; 01-11-05 at 08:13 PM.