Pool poll

Old 03-04-02, 03:10 PM
RobSchaef
Visiting Guest
Cool Pool poll

I don't see a way to take a poll here so just post if you have a pool.

A. Have a pool and love it.
B. Have a pool and enjoy it but hate the maintance.
C. Wish I had never bought the pool or a house with one.

If you answer B or C, please tell why.

Thanks!
Rob

Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-02, 04:26 PM
Group Moderator
A.

Old 03-04-02, 09:07 PM
RobSchaef
Visiting Guest
Thank you the_tow_guy for your vote!

Old 03-06-02, 10:49 AM
A.

Old 03-06-02, 07:30 PM
RobSchaef
Visiting Guest
That's a 100% for A so far and thanks for your vote Lugnut!

Old 03-07-02, 05:03 AM
Group Moderator
There are some variables involved here, of course. For instance our pool is totally covered by a screened enclosure which really reduces some of the cleaning chores.

Old 03-11-02, 11:13 AM
RobSchaef
Visiting Guest
That sounds interesting. I wouldn't mind doing the maintance myself. I was a lifeguard and did winter maintance at our local neighberhood pool in high school. People keep telling my wife that you will hate the maintance and never get your money back if you sell the house. I think we are going to live in this house for the next fifteen to twenty years and will more than get back what we spend in enjoyment. We live in Houston so the pool could be used pretty much year around and I want to get one with a spa as well!

Old 03-11-02, 06:46 PM
Group Moderator
Well, we bought our current house in '99 when I retired from the service and moved back down here. "Pool" was on the shopping list for home features, but it was not on the section of the list of "show-stoppers" (i.e. 2-car garage for my wood shop, big kitchen for wife, etc). We actually made an offer on another house that was pool-less before buying this one. Now I would probably not buy a house without one (in this part of the country anyway). Two things to help reduce maintenance: an in-line autofeeder for the chlorine and a good filter (I converted from paper cartridge to "DE" type two years ago; if you search this forum you'll see good discussions on this topic).

Old 03-15-02, 01:11 PM
I would say "A", not much maintenance and the enjoyment far outways the work. One recommendation is have the spa seperate from the pool. Even in Houston you will need to close the pool for a couple of months. By haveing the spa seperate you can still enjoy it. I live in NJ and used my spa all winter long almost 3 to 4 times a week.

Love them both

Hope this helps.

Doug

P.S. House was pool-less had an inground started the same month we closed, March 2000.....

Old 03-15-02, 02:42 PM
FixallMan
Visiting Guest
A) well, sort of. I had a pool and loved it, now I am planning to build one at the new house.

Keep in mind for maintenance that an automatic chlorinator and a pool sweep make the job simple. Also, oversize your pool filter for less maintenance. Pool chemistry is simple if you put some time into learning pH, chlorine, and total alkalinity. The other items are easily tested at a pool store.

A solar blanket and solar heat are great, also.

Rob

Old 03-15-02, 04:00 PM
RobSchaef
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply's. I did pool maintance and lifeguarded in high school so I know the basics. The spa pool combo is seperated by a wall and very good combo here. Even when it is cold, you could still jump in the pool and then get in the spa without freezing. You could pretty much use them year around here! Thanks again for the replys and different opinioins!!

Old 03-17-02, 01:49 PM
halseym
Visiting Guest
Question Swimming pool blues

This is the first year I have attempted to drain our inground cement pool ourselves. Between my wife's recent bout with meningitis and the lack of consulting jobs availabe to me, I've been trying to cut cost where I can. ( Plus, there's always the satisfaction in doing it yourself)

Here's the problem: I've drained the pool and there is less than 2 feet at the deepest point left. (the pool is about 8ft deep when filled) The pump will not suck anymore out though. Early on I used a bathtub rubber cover over the skimmer to ensure the pump was not sucking air- I don't think that is the problem.

Could it simply be that the water is now too low and I will have to use some other means to drain the remaining water?

If that is the case, what are my alternatives?

Old 03-17-02, 01:52 PM
halseym
Visiting Guest
I apologize, it appears my previous post was incorrectly sent as a reply to an earlier thread!

Old 03-17-02, 05:01 PM
RobSchaef
Visiting Guest
No problem. I am sorry I don't have a solution for you but I hope you can get it worked out. Do you have a shop vac that you can use to get the rest of the water out with?

Old 03-17-02, 08:12 PM
halseym
Visiting Guest
Hmmmmm, a shop vac?

Don't laugh but I think I must be missing something pretty basic here. (here comes the punch line....) is there a way to utilize the shop vac as a mechanism to pump the excess water out??? It crossed my mind but I thought I would be stuck having to turn the machine on and wait a few secs while 5 gallons was sucked in and then switch it off and then hand carry the h2o out.

Please tell me there is a simpler way????

Old 03-17-02, 09:28 PM
RobSchaef
Visiting Guest
Oh, sorry. I guess I didn't finish my thought. You would have to use several extensions to get the hose down to the water and leave the vac up on the side. Sorry I didn't say that the first time! Good luck.

Old 03-18-02, 06:41 PM
Group Moderator
Here's a thought. Try a local store that specializes in water beds. Sounds strange, but see if they have one of those fittings you put on a hose that turns it into a water-suctioning device. I've still got one kicking around in my junk box somewhere from when we had a water bed about 20 years ago. If I'm not mistaken the technical name is an eductor. Hard to describe it's construction and operation; basically it uses a jet of water from a hose to create vacuum in the fitting to draw water out the other side of the fitting.

Old 03-19-02, 08:41 AM
halseym
Visiting Guest
We do already have something similiar I think...it's a small leaf cleaner that attaches to a garden hose and sucks leaves into a small bag attached. I think it's a Venturi based concept?

The problem is that in order to actually use the hose to finish draining the pool, I would need a different type of connector.

No waterbed stores in my immediate area- would probably have to go up to Miam/Ft. Lauderdale. Great suggestion- I'll let you know how it works.

Old 03-20-02, 04:13 AM
Group Moderator
Yes, was avoiding the word venturi for fear of being too technical. Only afterthought I had was I have no idea how much vacuum one of those is capable of pulling because you're talking raising water 8 feet or so which will probably exceed the capability. Best bet might be renting a portable pump.

Old 03-21-02, 02:26 PM
potato
Visiting Guest
b. ive been around pools all my life and couldnt do without one. but my present pool is shadowed by a large mango tree. (the neighbors) i love the mangos, but hate all the leaves that are constantly ending up in the pool.

Old 03-24-02, 05:20 AM
mlaaw
Visiting Guest
how to get the water out

I bought a house w/an inground pool but needed a new liner. I drained the pool my self (all of it) this is what you have to do... On my filter i can shut off the skimmer line and have only the bottom drain "sucking" so shut the skimmers or as you said put sometimes over the skimmer hole to prevent air from geting into the pump. It sounds like there is air in your pipes and prventing it to drain anymore. Go to you pump on your filter and unscrew the lid...you need to prime the filter...so get a water hose and fill up the pump colse lid... put filter to drain and start pump/filter. this is what I had to do to get all water out (to the last drop)

Old 04-07-02, 05:17 PM
wilecoyote
Visiting Guest
B (hoping to turn into an A!)

Up here in New England you only get a few months of swimming & I really don't think a pool adds to your property value at all. Add to that my pool is well shaded by trees and the fact that you have to maintain it 12 months even tho' you only swim in it for four and it is a definite B. The upside is that nothing beats a dip in the pool on a hot day/night....
However, I'm adding solar heat and considering a Loop-Loc style cover for the winter which will all but eliminate winter maintenance. If those two mods work out, I'll be in the A category!