Need advice on buying above ground pool.

Old 04-30-02, 01:16 PM
leedesert
Visiting Guest
Need advice on buying above ground pool.

I'm looking to buy a good quality above ground pool. Size will be 27' to 30' round. I need advice on what to do since I have no experience at this. Is the internet or local pool store better and what brands make better pools?
For the size I'm looking for, what type pump, filter, and accesories do I need.
Budget is not suppose to exceed $3,000.

If you have wesites that would be great.

I'm in Valdosta Ga (South Central Georgia).

Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-02, 06:04 PM
mcfadden4
Visiting Guest
If you have the $3,000 budget, then I would look at a Pool Supply Store. They will install it for you, although I'm not sure of the cost.

We just bought a used one (24ft. round) for $300.00. We put an ad in the paper and said that we wanted to buy a used pool. We had several calls. This is great deal since it includes the pump, etc. The only other thing we have to buy is a new liner. (If you buy used you have to replace the liner.) We also have to install it ourselves, but we have friends that will help. We will have about $500.00 total in it.

Best of luck. (Try searching "discount above swimming pools" and see what comes up on the internet.)

Old 04-30-02, 10:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hi leedesert! I have a 15' above ground pool that was purchased from sears about 15 to 20 yrs ago. I just now have had the first real structure problem with it, and that wouldn't have happened if I had maintained it like I should have. A used quality pool can be purchased for a fraction of the price of a new one. A good pool will have a strong steel frame...with vertical supports every 3 feet or so, a flat top rail, and no or little rust. If you find any rust, sand it off and treat it with rustoleum before installation. I would think a 3 hp pump would do for your size. The cheap pool-kit pumps don't hold up real well. Hayward makes good pumps....and you might want to look into a sand filter too.

I'm no expert on pools by any means...this is just my two cents!