Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs
Reload this Page >

Preparing the ground for an above ground pool

Preparing the ground for an above ground pool

Old 05-06-02, 01:41 AM
Loomisman
Visiting Guest
Question Preparing the ground for an above ground pool

We just bought an 18 ft round pool for our daughter and found out the ground is not perfectly level. The water would all go to one end and the pool would get lopsided. We thought the ground was level. What is the best way to level the ground and what do I need to buy? It looks like a 8 inch drop from the high end. Will a line level work or is there an easier way? Thanks in advance for any replies.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-02, 06:10 PM
Group Moderator
That would be my choice. Knock some stakes in the ground, run some string line between them using a line level and then measure down from the string with a tape measure. Are you in "sandy" NC or "clay" NC? [Used to live in Craven County.] When you get it close throw in a couple of inches of sand and level that. Shouldn't be too big a chore once the pool is out of the way.

Old 05-06-02, 10:55 PM
Loomisman
Visiting Guest
Cool Thanks and I really like this forum!

Thanks for the info. Went to Lowes and got a line level. Will start in the morning working on this project. The soil is sand mostly near a creek. Forsyth county here...good to hear from you. Thanks again for the reply...Loomisman

PS My son was in the USMC for four years. He joined the US Navy last year. We are very proud of him.

Last edited by Loomisman; 05-06-02 at 11:10 PM.
Old 05-07-02, 05:01 AM
Group Moderator
Good on the soil; I had visions of you having to dig several inches of that heavy NC clay soil - been there, done that.

Being in aviation field, I spent plenty of time around the Navy including about 7 years stationed aboard Naval Air Stations (Atlanta/Marietta & Jacksonville/Cecil Field). If there is a better team around than the US Navy & Marine Corps I haven't seen it.