Hot Tub makes me itch

Old 06-09-02, 09:22 AM
KevinA
Visiting Guest
Hot Tub makes me itch

I've got a 330 gal hot tub, been using the Nature-2 system to treat the water. I've been religious about keeping up the maintenance schedule on the water, and the water always tests OK, but I get a rash and itch like crazy for a couple days afterwards. It's just me- doesn't seem to affect anyone else. I've been to my local supplier, had them test my water repeatedly, and they can't ever find a problem.

Their most recent suggestion was that I may have bacteria in there which they could not test for. They told me to add a bunch of chlorine, run the jets 2 hours, next day- add a bunch more chlorine and run the jets another 2 hours, drain it, wipe down everything with bleach water (cover included), rinse, then refill.

I've tried this more than once, and it still makes me break out and itch. I'm wondering, since it's just me, am I allergic to the shock or the chlorine, maybe? But, for the 1st several months of being on the Nature-2 system, I never had a problem.

Help!

-Itchy & Scratchy

Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-02, 10:28 AM
Hot tub itch

http://cbc.ca/consumers/market/files...h/hottubs.html

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load...531130383.html

http://health.discovery.com/diseases...edia/2028.html

After proper disinfection and decontamination of the hot tub, do not enter the tub until the rash has completely cured in order to prevent recontamination of the tub.

Old 06-09-02, 08:25 PM
What oxidyzer are you using with the Nature2? Chlorine or MPS? We've actually found some people have a reaction to the MPS. Have you seen a doctor and been PROPERLY cultured and diagnosed?

Last edited by Dr. Spa; 06-10-02 at 07:15 AM.
Old 06-10-02, 08:47 AM
KevinA
Visiting Guest
I've been using MPS. I did go to the doctor before I realized this was hottub related. It was not cultured, it was just treated as poison ivy.

I have been staying out of the tub while treating the rash, and after each water change to make sure I wasn't recontaminating it. Only when the rash had been gone for at least a week or so, and the water had been highly chlorinated, cycled and drained, the tub scrubbed down with bleach water, then refilled and balanced-would I get back in. (-and I've been through this 3 or 4 times now) I saw the info on pseudomonas, and the treatment described in one of those links matches the above. So, I don't see how any bacteria could've survived through that treatment, or how else the tub could've been recontaminated.

So, I'm really suspecting an allergy. Are there alternatives to MPS?

Old 06-10-02, 10:17 AM
Dr. Spa

Granular chlorine works just as well, if not better. You'll want to use less though. Chlorine is 9 time stronger than MPS.

Another posibility is Grovers Disease. Some people as they get older, have diminishing oil's produced by their skin. Soaking in hot water can then easily dry out the skin and cause an actual rash to appear.

I'd see a doctor and get a proper diagnosis.

Old 06-10-02, 11:36 AM
KevinA
Visiting Guest
I did get in someone else's tub a few times recently with no adverse reactions, so I don't think it's a hot water thing. They were using BaquaSpa....hmmm...

I'll try the chlorine for a while and see if that takes care of it. If not, then I may go back to the doctor.

Thanks for the tips.

Old 06-11-02, 11:37 AM
masterjoe
Visiting Guest
Talking You poor thing!!

My son has a very delicate skin and he used to break a rash inside my tub as well(I had been using Nature2/Chlorine combo as well). After many tries similar to yours, I've decided to find a way to cut down the amount of chemicals. I bought and installed an ozonator, continue using Nature2 and decrease the amount of chlorine by 80%. My water still stays crystal clear, passes the test and hasn't given my son any problem yet.

Your skin seems too sensitive to the types and amount of chemicals that you use. Try to change it to the one that your friend has that didn't give you any itch. Most importantly, contemplate on using ozonator to cut down on the amount of chemical usage.

Good luck!!

Old 06-19-02, 07:04 AM
KevinA
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up Update

UPDATE: Must've been the MPS! I quit using the MPS, just using a little chlorine in it's place. It's been over a week now, been in it 4 times with no rash or itch whatsoever. The water still seems to test OK as well.

Thanks for the tip! Now I can enjoy this thing again.

Old 02-04-05, 11:31 AM
Winger1
Visiting Guest
Kevin, what is MPS? I have the exact same problem as you and have tried similar things, like thorough cleanings and staying out for a while. I use chlorine and keep the chemicals balanced pretty well but still can't stop the itching! Any suggestions? Thanks...

Old 02-07-05, 03:55 PM
BubbleLuvr
Visiting Guest
Old 02-11-05, 08:22 AM
Hi KevinA , Im also wondering what your refering to , quote: MPS ,

are you refering to Potassium Monopersulphate ? this is a non chlorine shock / oxadizing agent widely used to rid pools / spas of organic & inorganic materials. [ blood, urine, sweat, bacteria ] etc. low ph can also make you itch.

this is another reason to drain a spa quarterly and start over, unlike a pool 300 - 500 gal of water plus 2 - 4 people per week = mucho contamination . also to over chemical, due to the small dosages necessary, and in the case of spas if a little is fine more is better is completely absurd,
most trouble ive seen re: spas is when the homeowner leaves a floater in the spa and forgets it its simply a matter of time before the chlorine / bromine ppm gets super duper high and with the cl tabs the ph gets lower also, heater elements are destroyed, and pump seals start leaking and in time pump motors have to be replaced.

steve

steve