Winter Closure

Old 07-23-02, 09:28 AM
jnickel
Visiting Guest
Question Winter Closure

We have a 24' above ground pool with a Doughboy Adjustable Liner. We also have a 200,000 BTU Natural Gas heater. I was hoping someone could give me some tips on Year-end closure. We live in extreme northern Wisconsin (20 miles south of Upper Michigan) so the pool will freeze solid.

P.S. We are new to the forum!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-02, 01:24 PM
nvsmom
Visiting Guest
winterization

jnickel,
Hey neighbor! We also live in the upper Wi., and have an above ground pool. Not sure about the gas heater, but would assume that you dont heat your pool during the winter. We start by cleaning the pool ( vacuuming) then we drain it to just below the skimmer line by about 3-4 inches. We add 2 or 3 bags of shock, this helps to keep the algae down if the weather gets nice before it starts to get really cold. We have had people tell us that we need to put inflated tubes or balls in the pool so that the freeze wont push out on the walls. We have done that and every year they are flat before the snow melts and the feeze is gone. One year my husband even put big heavy logs in the pool (Don't do this) what a mess come spring. We had bark and dirt everywhere and were very lucky it didnt spring a leak. We still do it, but not sure why. Heh Heh. Do you have a DE filter? I'll wait for a reply on that, thats what we have and no sense typing info you may not need. Let me know! Tina

Old 07-25-02, 08:44 PM
jnickel
Visiting Guest
Question Winter Closure

No DE Filter. We have a Doughboy Sand Filter and the heater is made by Hayward. We also have a "deep end" that is about 5' deep. Does this change the winterizing procedure? What about the skimmer and return? The help and information we got from the retailer from whom we bought the pool (The Pool People in Rhinelander, Wisconsin) was pretty poor. I would think such a purchase would warrent a video or something! Again, any input from savvy veterans would be greatly appreciated!

Old 07-26-02, 12:37 PM
nvsmom
Visiting Guest
winter closure

Our pool is cupped. The center is 5 feet deep and then inclines up to 4 feet deep all the way around. We just drain the pool below the skimmer by a couple of inches, throw in some shock and some blow up balls, pu the pool cover on and done! We empty and clean the filter tank and filter, disconnect all the hoses and put everything away. Make sure your filter and tank are allowed to dry well or they might freeze if not kept indoors. We got a video with our pool, which was a used pool, and all the directions. We have a place here in Duluth that you could probably call its called "Pools of Fun". Barry is one of the owners and is fantastic with every thing from chemicals to winterzation. But its very easy. I still have all the info. if you would like i could send it to you or you can call Barry at Pools of Fun. Let me know. Tina