The bad and the good!

Old 12-20-16, 06:04 PM
The bad and the good!

This is meant as an upbeat post and I hope readers will take that feeling with them when finished reading this.

I have not been active on the board for almost a month. Without warning life changing things happen that one cannot put rhyme or reason as a cause. But I feel in some small way that this board and its member are a part of my family and I find need to talk.

This past Thanksgiving was like most with family and friends. My oldest son stopped by to visit and he even helped me move some furniture. The next day he was suppose to come by to help his mother do a few things. He never made it. She called his wife to ask if she knew what was keeping him. She had no idea since she was at work, but got a little worried and came home to find him on the floor. He suffered a massive stroke!

Without going into detail, the neurosurgeon was unable to get to the blood clot that entered his brain. As a result, he suffered right side paralyses and is unable to talk. Swelling in the brain was a major concern but fortunately after three days, it calmed down. Two weeks in the ICU and the following weeks until the present day brings us to lots of extensive rehab and rest.

In his favor is the fact that he is healthy, young (only 43), a non-smoker and non-drinker (occasional beer), not overweight, active and has a quick mind. Being left-handed is a plus since it’s his right side that is paralyzed. And so far he is responding to speech, occupational and physical therapy. But it will be small steps each day.

Many have voiced their sympathies and offered prayer and help, and as a family, we appreciate all of it. I said in the beginning of this post that it was meant to be upbeat. And so it is …to me this is the best Christmas gift ever…I have my son!

Merry Christmas to all and hope you all have a happy holiday.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-16, 06:17 PM
Group Moderator
Great attitude. Wishing your son a quick journey to recovery.

Old 12-20-16, 10:31 PM
Group Moderator
Without warning life changing things happen that one cannot put rhyme or reason as a cause.
And sometimes there is a reason as a cause. My mom is 78 and fell in the bathroom.
Wow... what a life changer that has become.

Norm.... hope your son continues to improve on his road to recovery.

Old 12-21-16, 01:35 AM
Super Moderator
I have no kids, so I can't begin to understand, but as you said...you still have him. Best wishes to you and the whole family, esp for your son and his uphill battle.

Old 12-21-16, 03:04 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Best to you and yours Norm, may the rest of the holiday season be in your favor.

Old 12-21-16, 03:26 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hope and pray your son has a speedy recovery. If it had to happen, it's good it happened today and not 50 yrs ago. The medical field has gotten good at helping folks recover from strokes.

Old 12-21-16, 05:04 AM
Thank you all for your good wishes.

Marksr, you are so right. Today's care and technology is so much better than even 10 years ago. Fortunately, my daughter-in-law, his wife, has a medical background and knows that Buffalo General is the best in terms of neurosurgery north of Pittsburg, east of Cleveland, south of Toronto and west of New York, even though several other hospitals were closer. It also helps that several other family members are medical field related. Her brother is a heart surgeon in the Boston, MA area, and he called BG and confirmed that their reputation was well earned. Even my veterinarian daughter has confirmed that much of the care and medicines being used are correct (amazing how similar animal health care parallels human anatomy). Not so in other area hospitals. A co-worker of mine has a cousin in a nearby hospital for a similar situation and I can tell by talking with her that the care and expertise is not the same as BG. He is not doing well. Although there are other complications. I dare not say anything about the comparison. I feel so bad for her and the family.

Old 12-21-16, 05:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hope your son has a speedy recovery. Best wishes.
Don

Old 12-21-16, 06:23 PM
Group Moderator
After being in the hospital this summer for a week, I only had a small taste of what your son is going through. A positive attitude is key. I wish him a speedy recovery!

Merry Christmas!

Old 12-22-16, 02:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
.... and in some respects it's also hard on the loved ones. I recently found out how tiring and stressful it is to go to the hospital everyday to visit and talk to the doctors and nurses about the patient's condition.

Old 12-22-16, 03:16 AM
I don't mind being there every day, it's the ride to and from. Gets old real quick.

Yesterday, we got a report from the staff that he fell out of the bed while trying to sit up. He was not hurt. My wife and his wife are very upset. I'm not. Am I wrong? Not hurt, no harm. The wives are going to pursue the incident with the administration.

The beds have alarms and will activate when a patient gets out. The staff came running (I assume) when the alarm sounded. I'm told that floor was short staffed that particular day. The wives are saying he should've been more closely watched. There are like forty rooms (semi-private) and perhaps 6 nurses on hand at any given time. Can't be done.

The only problem I have is that the beds have four collapsible rails. Only three were engaged in the up position. The right side foot end was down. As a result, he had the freedom to maneuver himself to try and sit up without supervision. I inquired about this and was told that state law mandates that only three rails are allowed to be up at any given time. Otherwise, it will be considered constraining a patient against his will.! Seriously? A patient can do self-harm by being given freedom of movement, but that's OK because we can't allow constraints! Call me crazy (and many do) but preventing self-inflicting harm is against the law?

Old 12-22-16, 03:27 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
One morning when I got to the hospital my wife said she needed to use the bath rm. Neither of us knew there was an alarm. Before I got her on her feet good the alarm started beeping and a nurse on the intercom asked if she was ok, before we got to the bath rm another nurse came into the room to check on her.

Glad your son didn't get hurt when he fell out of bed!

Old 12-26-16, 08:19 PM
Norm I am sorry to read about your sons stroke. Luckily he is still fairly young and I am sure he will do better than most older people who are up in age would. Just as an aside and not meant as medical advice but I have read that if a person feels a stroke may be coming on it is best to take some aspirin. Aspirin though is not wise for everyone so people should consult their doctor way ahead of time. Towards my time to finally leave the hospital I learned how to turn off that bed alarm. That alarm is annoying but also can be a real life saver.