Sausage grill

Old 12-30-16, 12:58 AM
Super Moderator
Sausage grill

You know the one I'm talking about? For a specific brand of sausage (though others will work)?

Well, bought one as a Christmas gift to myself. At a good price, not the over inflated ones you see advertised now.

Gotta say, it works great. Does just as advertised, though I never heard the "ding" that is supposed to mean it is completely finished cooking. I waited about 5 min after the 4 beeps and no ding, but the grease had stopped running out, so I went ahead and opened it. 5 beautifully grilled sausages (even the sides), steaming hot and almost perfect for sandwiches.

I say almost, cause I like my sausages just a bit juicier for sandwiches, though these were good, not dry at all, and would have been great in gumbo or, jambalaya, or pasta dishes as it was, where you don't want too much grease.

Easy clean up, heavy cast aluminum plates came right out with a button push. Grease cup slides out for cleaning.

Be warned, you need a good exhaust fan, open some windows, or do it outside, cause this baby generates a ton of greasy steam.

Sure, it's only 5 at a time, but you can't get that perfect brown skin all around on a regular grill. Invariably you get some blackened sides and some with nothing. You could cook 20-30 til it just beeps and then keep them warm on the grill if you wanted.

I like it a lot and wouldn't hesitate recommending it.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-16, 02:28 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
My helper mentioned this yesterday. I can envision crunchy outside and juicy inside. Sounds good for black beans and rice, too.

Old 12-30-16, 07:51 AM
Super Moderator
Prob great for beans and rice, though I usually use smoked sausage for that. I imagine the sweet Italian or one of the brats would work. Just saw they have a heck of a lot more brat types than I have ever seen in a store.

Old 12-30-16, 01:39 PM
We have a meat market close to us and the guy does his own Italian Sausage mixing and packing. Normally with store bought I have to tilt the pan to separate the sausage from it's orange grease. Not his. I have had it on many occasions and there is only residual stuff in the skillet after I cook it. I would like to see what one of these cookers would do for it.

Old 12-30-16, 02:15 PM
I would give my left n** to be able to eat sausage again. Along with the cheeseburger they are God's gift to man.

Most sausage has such a high sodium content that I can no longer have it but I got a meat grinder for Christmas so I'm gonna' start making my own.

Old 12-30-16, 02:59 PM
Group Moderator
Vic - I have no idea what you're talking about, how about a pic or link?

Geez, now I'm Jonesing for sausage....

Old 12-30-16, 03:27 PM
Group Moderator
Is it something like this?

Name:  635983898528663556-Sausage-grill.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  42.1 KB

Old 12-30-16, 06:37 PM
Vic - Maybe you should be Johnsoning about sausage.

Old 12-30-16, 11:31 PM
Super Moderator
Yeah Ray, I think that's the same one. The packaging of the sausage is correct anyway. lol

Old 12-31-16, 08:47 AM
Group Moderator
I saw one of those and thought it was the dumbest thing. Funny curved slot, what if the sausage was a different shape? I may have to rethink my opinion.

Old 12-31-16, 09:06 AM
Group Moderator
I'm happy with microwave if I'm in a hurry or a cast iron skillet. I do split the sausage length wise to cook out some of the grease.

Old 12-31-16, 03:43 PM
Usually I grill sausage, but when the weather sucks I cook it in a cast iron grill pan (Lodge). The grease settles between the grill ridges.

Old 12-31-16, 07:01 PM
I used to do brats on the grill until I ran out of propane and cannot find a filling station without driving forty miles. Seems like any place close in is just those exchange tanks where the cost of the propane is at least double the cost at a bulk plant.

Now I usually just boil them for ten minutes to get the internal temperature up above 160 and then finish them with two minutes in the George Foreman turning them 90 degrees after the first minute. Or, if I have the deep fryer up to temperature I will drop them in for a couple of minutes to firm up the outside.

I have seen the commercials for that cooker but the price on the website was insanely high. Way too much for this girl.

Old 12-31-16, 07:48 PM
Group Moderator
Most sausages are already full cooked and I'll admit I have snacked on them straight from the package.

Not quiet sausage but really good is a hot dog cart outside a local store that sells hot dogs wrapped in bacon then grilled.

Agree on the price. Just isn't worth it.

Old 12-31-16, 09:01 PM
Super Moderator
Yeah, like I said, I paid a decent price. Not what you currently see at the website or on Amazon. About $45 less. They'll probably drop back to that after all the holidays.

And, though it's specifically for that brand, it sure looks like some of the store brands would fit fine. And much of the uncooked rope/link sausage in the butcher case area would easily fit.

And yeah, many sausages are normally already cooked if they say smoked, heat and eat, or something, but many of the brats and italian sausages are not. And you can't get that all around crispy skin any other way except maybe for deep frying.

Like I said, was just stating that it did what it was supposed to and the results were near perfect. No turning, watching the temp, or grease splatter everywhere, and easy clean-up.

I "needed" this like another hole in my head, but then I don't really "need" 14 handguns, 15 Kershaw knives, or a block full of Shun kitchen knives. Want? Now that's a different matter...lol.

Old 12-31-16, 11:17 PM
Group Moderator
But it feels so good to buy something you want not something you need.

Old 01-01-17, 02:01 AM
Great thread, mouth is watering. But why is it that way up north I have NEVER heard of a grill specifically for sausage. I love the JV sausage and Brats, I catch them on sale and keep plenty in the freezer. I will try the deep fry approach as the crisp would be a major upgrade from my slow cook brown and steam routine.

Bud

Oh, and Happy New Year! Outside at 4 am shoveling snow so my puppies will have their place to do their thing. Dachshunds were not made for snow country.

Old 01-01-17, 03:53 AM
Vic, if you can still get the gun safe door closed and locked, you are OK. You can never have too many. And I love my KO spring assist Kershaw. I have used it many times one handed to cut hay twine, etc. where a normal pocket knife would require two hands to open.