Learning ATV's and camping and the best customer service I've seen. Cabela's

Old 05-26-17, 08:00 AM
Learning ATV's and camping and the best customer service I've seen. Cabela's

Some of you may remember me mentioning that I bought a piece of land and a cabin atop a small mountain in southern New York along the PA. border.

In order to get up to the cabin from the road is quite a climb. Not something you want to do every time. Especially since my son had a stroke and can't negotiate sever hill climbing. So we bought what we thought was a basic UTV (Coleman Hisun 400) to get up the hill and haul our belongings. First time out was a bust. Unit is way too under powered to handle the 30 to 45 degree inclines. I know, I should've known better, but that's why the title says "Learning"!

Any way, I went back to Cabela's and explained that we bought an under sized unit and used it only once. I can't even make the small inclines. Will they be willing to trade in for a bigger unit? Not only are they willing to trade in and try to give me the proper unit at the least cost, they are going the extra step to make sure my choice of ATV will be the right one. They are willing to meet me at the cabin with two other units in tow and do a test drive that will assure me that one of these units will handle the terrain. All at no additional cost. They also asked me to bring the current small UTV with me so they can see for themselves why my unit can't handle the terrain.

I did not expect this type of service and customer care. Kudos to Cabela's! They have a forever customer!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-17, 09:47 AM
Group Moderator
I would avoid a private branded machine. Getting parts and support could be problematic. If a brand name machine is out of your price range get a used one. Something from; Artic Cat, Polaris, Kubota, John Deere, Yamaha, Honda and Can Am would be a good choice.

Every brand named machine I have seen can get up any hill. The lower powered machines can't race up a 45 degree incline like an Icelandic hill climb competition but they can certainly climb at a safe pace. As for my Gator I've never "had" to put it into low range. I just do for the finer speed control and to help limit by using the engine as a brake when descending.

Old 05-26-17, 05:40 PM
Of course you're right. I did inquire about a used brand name. None seemed available at the time and price still seemed out of range. And that ship has sailed. However, at the time i did not think I needed anything other than a basic machine. It's use is only to get up the mountain side and haul items up too heavy to carry. There is no need for sport riding or traveling on the land (it's less than 10 acres in size). And I did not have sufficient knowledge of ATV's. One of the few times I did not do due diligence in learning befor hand. Anyways, I'm very pleased so far with how Cabela's is treating me. As far as service and parts go, Cabela's is an authorized dealer and service for the Coleman Hisun units. They are also bring out the next size up from the 700 Hisun, different brand, a unit made in Ohio (I forget the name). All USA made and assembled (so they say). I checked the things like Polaris and Arcticat and the price is just out of reach at this point in time. I can, just barely afford this unit. But it's a must expense.

Old 05-26-17, 06:09 PM
Sorry Norm have to agree with Pilot on this one.
Koodos to Cabela's for trying to help you out.
Would have been the last place I would have gone to buy an SUV.

Old 05-26-17, 06:32 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Joe, do you always have a black cloud over your head? Seems to just rain on everyone's parade at the drop of a hat. Gee.

Old 05-27-17, 05:55 AM
Group Moderator
I have never heard of a Cabela's going that far to provide that level of customer service. That is great to hear and kudos to them!

I hope you have a good machine that fits your needs.

Old 05-27-17, 06:14 AM
Group Moderator
That is great the Cabela's is allowing you to switch machines. I have never seen the brands that Cabela's carries. After you get the new one I'd love it if you post some photos and your impressions/review.

Old 06-09-17, 04:07 AM
Follow-up!

First off, Cabela' is the BEST!

Their Power Sports sales force, sales manager, and service department are second to none.

So about a week ago they did in fact meet me at my cabin. Both the Salesman and the Service Manager. They brought two units. The next size 700cc Husin (Coleman) and an Intimidator 4 x 4 (US made in Ohio). Right from the get go, by just looking at the terrain, it was obvious to them that the Intimidator was the unit to use. We spent about 4 hours putting the unit through it's paces. Took the near 45 deg hills and sharp curves without a problem. They had me stop the unit mid way at the steepest point, then start up again. No problem.

The two guys told me not to worry, they would not go through this trouble if they were not willing to make a good deal. So this past week we got together and made a deal. Met with the Sales Manager this past Monday. Long story short. I ended up paying just a bit more then if I choose the correct machine to start with. Much of that was taxes and fees. They gave me a very generous trade in on the old unit. And they gave me a complete exchange on the trailer for the next size up to fit the new UTV. I just paid the difference. He also gave me a $500 rebate based on opening a Club Card (which I already had) meant for new customers. Then as bonus when I picked up machine they added a steel roof, being discarded from another customer at no charge. About a $400 if I bought it. My salesman, Don, also gave me one of those giant boat covers. They throw them away and said I was welcome to take several if I wanted them. Good for hauling wood and other things. Will do well to cover the trailer during winter.

I'm a loyal customer!

So kudos to:

Don Ruda...Salesman
Rich Wagner... Service Manager
Mike Hoy...Sales manager
and also the other salesmen and service crew who interacted with during this whole ordeal.

Cheektowage, NY store.

Name:  IMG_20170608_181939582_HDR.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  46.2 KB

Old 06-09-17, 04:17 AM
Group Moderator
It's good to finally put a face to the screen name.

You'll have to post some more pictures of the UTV when you get it dirty.

Old 06-09-17, 04:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Good deal Norm! I am so glad to hear that this all worked out as well as it did for you.

There is no Cabella's anywhere near me so, unfortunately, I wont be a regular customer but I will always keep this in mind if the occasion arises. More than anything, I am glad it worked out for you & your son as well as it did.

That's a nice looking ATV.

Old 06-09-17, 05:41 PM
It's good to finally put a face to the screen name.
Bet it's not what you expected.

Dixie,

Since you mentioned it, a UTV is different than an ATV. As I'm told an ATV must be registered with the state (here in New York at least) and is usable to a limited extend to public roads. Whereas a UTV is not registered and may not be used on any public roads. Must be for private use only. So I'm told.