new eye glasses

Old 01-31-18, 02:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
new eye glasses

This will start out as a rant. 32 days ago I got new glasses. The left lens [my only good eye] kept popping out. I repaired it myself several times but since it kept happening I went back to Lenscrafters today. The gal that waited on me had trouble fixing it but said she had it took care of. She also said that if it keeps happening she'd have to put my new lenses in my old frames. I objected stating they need to work in the new frames. Her response was you didn't purchase the 1 yr protection plan [$70] so I wasn't eligible to get the lens replaced for $25 or the frame replaced for $25. I left mad but my glasses were repaired .... or so I thought.

The lens popped out before I got home So I went back to Lenscrafters. Fortunately that gal was on break and the short gal that's been there a long time waited on me. After a little bit she said she'd send them back to be remade. free of charge

Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-18, 03:52 PM
We have a lot of contributors here who run their own businesses or have extensive experience dealing with customers and we all know the importance of good customer service. That first gal needs to take a refresher course in how to build a business.

I do love Maine as we have extended warranties for just about everything. Where they may seem like a pain for the merchants the liberal rules allow every business to make decisions that will result in happy customers. LL Bean have been doing this for many years.

Glad you found the right assistant.

Bud

Old 01-31-18, 06:13 PM
Two storys about Lenscrafter.
I go in to get new glasses because mine where broken, they gave me an eye exam, I pick out the frames, my wife at the time decides she also wants a new set, (even though she had just got a new set less than a week ago at the eye doctors and had paid over $400.00 for them)
She wanted the ones with the invisible line under the lense.
I get a call my glasses are ready,
I show up and the bow that go's around ears is about 3" to long, the bridge over the nose is huge, there not even the frame I picked out.
The lady says that what size you told me to make them, WTH!
How would I know what size to make them?
My wife liked her's so she paid for them, within an hour one of the lenses fell out, she goes back and gets it fixed.
We go to a flea market on the way home and it falls out again.
Since then I go to Wal-Mart, pay $100.00 , never had one break and get them replaced when there scratched up.

Old 01-31-18, 09:26 PM
Super Moderator
I've been getting mine at WM for years. The folk there are happy to clean and adjust any glasses, even if not theirs. They even replaced the nose pads on a pair of mine for free even though they were way more than a year old.

I was waiting for an eye exam at my eye doc (who's office also sells glasses of course)..I heard the prices they were quoting a guy "well, after your insurance pays this ridiculous amount, then you'll owe this not quite so ridiculous amount and it should take about 2 weeks". Yeah, I was eavesdropping but they were just basic bifocals with a tint and the anti scratch coatings. The dude was going to be paying like $400 out of pocket. Asked them about mine, very minor single vision in cheap frames...they said $200 or so, 2 weeks. Warranty 30 days.

WM...2 pair in metal frames (cheap but functional), for right at $90. Cheaper to buy new frames then have lenses put in old frames. 1 yr warranty Normally I have them in hand in 3 days.

Sorry Doc, I'll let you check my eyes, but I'm sure not buying your glasses. Sounds like Lenscrafters isn't much better.

Last edited by Gunguy45; 01-31-18 at 11:09 PM.
Old 01-31-18, 10:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hey Vic,
Technically the Navy does not provide optometry after retirement, everyone knows that.
If there is a military facility around you they do make exceptions and might take care of you.
I was surprised when Balboa Naval Medical Center gave me a full eye exam and free glasses. I just called and gave it a shot and they did it.

Old 01-31-18, 11:07 PM
Super Moderator
Yeah, nothing except up in LV or down in PHX. And they're both AF and have pretty small clinics and their hospitals are combined VA/Active Duty. It's a space A thing and with all the retirees in those locations, I'd never get in. No worries, my doc bills as medical treatment, since I have some sort of blown artery or something he keeps an eye on. I only pay a partial fee since he takes Tricare.

Old 02-01-18, 04:17 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Previously I've not had any problems other than the high price with Lenscrafters. The main reason I deal with them is they are the only local store that will make my prescription in glass. I used to get my glasses at Sears and have bought glasses for some of the kids at Walmart. The main reason I've always gotten glass is the ability to clean the lens with lacquer thinner. Since I don't paint much anymore I know it would make more sense to buy plastic and use an old pair when painting ..... but it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks.

Old 02-01-18, 05:22 AM
Group Moderator
I'll echo the Wally World comments. Been getting mine there for almost 20 years and the independent optometrist I use there is excellent.

Old 02-01-18, 09:00 AM
Super Moderator
Mark...I did a test a while back. Goof Off doesn't hurt the acrylic lenses at all and took Krylon spray paint right off, I doubt regular paint thinner would hurt either. Lacquer thinner, I'm not so sure of. I've got a couple of old pairs I can send you to experiment with....?

Once you've tried plastic...if your prescription is anything close to strong...you'll never go back to glass. When I first switched...it was like I wasn't even wearing anything...and I have a weak prescription.

Old 02-01-18, 12:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I have a strong prescription but the new [last 10 yrs?] glass isn't near as thick/heavy as they used to be.
I've never tried to clean paint off of plastic lenses but I know even mineral spirits can cloud the clear plastic on a radio dial. I'm a little surprised that goof off or mineral spirits doesn't harm plastic lenses ... but I guess it's a different type of plastic ??

Old 02-01-18, 12:24 PM
Super Moderator
It's like the difference between plexi and lexan. Look what UV does to plexi, but doesn't phase Lexan.

Old 02-01-18, 01:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Maybe I'll try plastic next time - the cost would be half, maybe less. I normally go about 4 yrs between new glasses so it will be awhile.

Old 03-23-18, 11:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
update

I guess I put this thread in the wrong forum as it's a better fit for rants
My new glasses just came in yesterday, picked them up this morning. They seem to be made correctly this time ...... but if I counted correctly - it took them 7 weeks!
5 times longer to make them again, maybe because this time they didn't get paid ??