Turkey Baking Don't trust that RED thing

Old 11-03-04, 06:41 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Turkey Baking Don't trust that RED thing

We have a few weeks before that great eating day known as Thanksgiving. You can help insure that there is something to be thankful for by investing a couple dollars in a meat thermometer. Do not trust that red popup gizmo in your turkey. I make a contest out of it by making guests write down their estimate of when it will pop. Has gone from 135 degrees to not popping at all over the years. Nothing worse than putting that big bird on the table and watching the blood run with the first knife stroke. Be safe and not embarrassed this year. Invest in a meat thermometer.

Old 11-04-04, 06:25 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Mine will melt if I leave it in. That deep frier will do that sometimes.

Your making me hungry now.

For those of you that will be deep frying be very carefull.

Old 11-07-04, 06:44 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
Don't try frying a turkey that has not thawed completely. Learned that the hard way... Outside dark brown and crispy, inside pink and cold...

Something fun to do next time your frying. Cut up some potatoes into thin waffers. After the turkey is done get the oil as hot as possible. Then slowly drop a few slices of potatoe in at a time. Potatoe chips need really hot oil so put them in slow and don't let them stick together. Then put on all sorts of seasoning salts for flavor.

Old 11-07-04, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
I've just recently got into deep frying turkey for my mom's holiday dinners and hot wings go over really well before the bird goes in.

You're not making me hungry.
Just finished sampling a batch of fresh venison smoked sausage.

Old 11-16-04, 04:42 AM
My son and I were at Bass Pro over the weekend and I gave him several subtal hints on the new smoker I want for Christmas. He should've gotten the idea when I pointed at it and said "That's what I want for Christmas!"

I can see it now 3 or 4 slabs of baby backs and a chicken in the smoker, and turkey, fish and fries in the frier.

It's 7:45 a.m. and now I'm hungry.

Old 01-11-05, 05:53 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
one of the instructions to deep frying is to remove the plastic thingamabob from the turkey before you deep fry.. and a frozen turkey is a good way to have an explosion of hot oil and a BIG fire... the frozen turkey holds a lot of water and if you've never seen what a very small ice cube does in a great big pot of hot oil, you really don't want to be there!...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: