Sardines

Old 07-29-05, 09:27 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sardines

I have been Googling sardines to check the health benefit. It seems this small fish is very good source of Omega 3, Vitamin B12, Selenium, so on and so fourth. Well I've eaten sardines only once before about 15 years ago, but the stuff I got back then was cut and canned as fillets. What I have in front of me now is the whole fish - the head, beady eyes, probably still the guts inside. Can I eat this "as is" without ill side effects, or am I supposed to take off the head, wash, and fillet?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-05, 11:55 PM
T
If you have fresh sardines, clean sardines removing heads, fins and entrails, scale, remove backbones by running your thumb up and down the spine. Butterfly to open them up. Wash and apply salt.

Old 08-02-05, 11:18 PM
J
These are in the can with all the parts.

Old 08-03-05, 07:55 PM
I have always been a fan of canned sardines but I learned that the higher the price, the smaller and better the fish was. I have never opened a can and seen the heads on. I would have to dispose of the heads. There should be something on the label telling you what to do. If not, I guess its safe to eat it all. If I picked one up out of the can and there was no slit up the middle of the body, to the trash it wqould go.

Old 10-22-05, 12:19 PM
marvinmoose
Visiting Guest
When I was a kid, my dad always spread out newspapers and boned and gutted the little sardines from the can. I'm less fastidious than my folks -- as a rule, I just eat them as is.

And they are apparently an excellent source of long-chain Omega 3 polyunsaturated fatty acids (EPA = eicosapentaenoic acid and DHS = docosahexaenoic acid), as long as they've been eating plankton.