Maple Syrup maintenance

Reply

  #1  
Old 09-12-05, 05:42 AM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 4,320
Maple Syrup maintenance

I'm talking about the real maple syrup here
From a tree

Sorry if this grosses out any non-New Englanders...

If it gets mold, my family always skimmed off the mold and boiled the syrup
I also have heard at sugar shacks over the years that is the proper procedure, and thought nothing of it
I was told when I made it myself, along time ago, that was the procedure

Well my dear one and her daughter were just horrified when I told her not to throw out the syrup with mold, to skim and boil

Have I been taught a dangerous practice by cheap Swamp and Moss-back Yankees?

Isn't that the procedure for Maple Syrup maintenance?

Thank you for any information
 
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 09-21-05, 04:05 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 4,320
...< whistles a tune >...
 
  #3  
Old 09-21-05, 06:45 PM
GregH's Avatar
Super Moderator
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 9,919
Likes Received: 3
slickshift,

I'm not sure about maple syrup but you wouldn't throw out a block of moldy cheese would you?

This is not a rock solid fact but my belief is that mold is an aerobic organism which means it requires air to grow which is why mold is a surface pest.
Not to say for sure there isn't something else wrong with it.
How does it taste?

I regularly buy expensive cuts of meat when they are trying to walk out of the store on their own!!!
Awe, just kidding. They are cuts of meat that have begun to discolor from sitting on the shelf too long.
Wash them steaks with salt water and they are tastier and more tender than a freshly wrapped one.
 
  #4  
Old 09-22-05, 04:19 AM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 4,320
Originally Posted by GregH

I'm not sure about maple syrup but you wouldn't throw out a block of moldy cheese would you?

Nope, you'd cut out the mold
 
  #5  
Old 11-05-05, 10:49 AM
Real Maple
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
moldy syrup

I was searching the internet and came across this post about what to do about moldy maple syrup and thought I would put my two cents worth in. We make maple syrup and sell it commercially. Syrup can get a mold growth, but you are correct in stating that you should not throw it away! (that stuff if pure liquid gold!)

The mold can be cause by many things, such as improper storage (it needs to be refridgerated after opening) or maybe an air bubble that got lodged in the container during the bottling process. The best way is to let the container come to room temperature and then strain the product through cheese cloth and into a pot. This will remove all the mold. Then bring the syrup back to a boil for just a minute. Then return the syrup to your container and it is back the way it was when it first came out of the evaporator! In a rare occasion, syrup can ferment, but you would know that immediately, as it would have a vinegar like smell. Enjoy that syrup and here is to your healthy eating!
 
  #6  
Old 11-05-05, 10:55 AM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 4,320
Well now, thank you very much
That's what I was looking for
I appreciate the instructions from someone in the industry
Thanks again!
 
  #7  
Old 11-09-08, 11:39 PM
Member
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1
Mold - maple syrup

Isn't this all a question of WHAT molds?

The cheese analog is not at all valid because it is known that dairy molds are harmless.

But it IS known that bread and fruit molds are carcinogenous.

Just having 'done something' for years is not proof of anything. Molds are easily analyzed by proper experts - so what's the deal with maple syrup?
 
Reply

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes