What do I do with small toaster/convection oven?

Old 10-24-05, 12:15 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How do I heat frozen vegetables in a toaster/convection oven?

On another forum here I posted that things seemed to be wrong with a series of microwave ovens so I wanted a simple alternative. Someone suggested a toaster/convection oven. I bought a small Oster and now I don't know what to do with it.

I don't want to learn to cook. Mainly I want to heat frozen vegetables and bake potatoes.

Should I use the toaster oven or the convection oven feature? What temperature for approximately how long? I'm sure I'll have to end up experimenting, but I want some sort of guidline. I never had to worry about temperatures with the microwave.

And what do I cook in? On Pyrex packages, it says not to use in toaster ovens, so I guess that's out. What kind of metal pan? I see non-stick ones in the market. Are those safe? I don't need the non-stick part, I just don't see anything else. I've heard aluminum could be a health hazard, so I don't want that.

Any help would be appreciated, since it's too late to return the oven and the only alternative I can think of is eBay.

Last edited by Sondra; 10-25-05 at 10:27 PM.
Old 10-28-05, 04:24 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
You can cook anything in your convection oven. Most recipes can be adjusted for convection oven use by decreasing the temperature by 25 degrees F and decreasing cooking time about 25%. When roasting meats, don't change the temperature, simply cut the cooking time by about 25%. Dishes that will take longer to bake may dry out, so cover for the first half of cooking time.

Corningware should work fine in both toaster and convection oven. Shiny bright pans reflect heat, resulting in more delicate browning. Pans with low sides and cookie sheets with no sides work best for heat circulation in convection ovens.

Convection ovens that also operate as a toaster oven aren't really large enough to give you the full benefits of convection oven cooking. You will have to experiment. Read your owner's manual. Many manuals offer a few recipes. There are convection cooking cookbooks available. You can also find toaster oven and convection oven recipes online.

Old 11-02-05, 10:12 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I don't want to learn to cook. Mainly I want to heat frozen vegetables and bake potatoes.

I think they refer to that as "cooking only to prevent starvation"...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: