Ketchup

Old 04-14-07, 10:40 PM
W
wwc
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I love the idea of making homemade ketchup, I might have to try that this summer.

I have a couple questions, what does refresh mean when putting in tomatoes in boiling water.

Also I would like to hear more about how to make soft butter.

Last edited by twelvepole; 04-14-07 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Split post from old archived thread
Old 04-14-07, 11:26 PM
T
After placing tomatoes in boiling water to loosen their skins, you 'refresh' by running cold water over them.

Making butter is a good project to do with children. If working with children, use a plastic container with a tight lid. Allow 1 pint heavy cream to come to room temperature. Pour into clean quart jar until about 1/3 full. Screw on lid and shake until butter starts to form. Keep shaking (up to 30 minutes) until there is a lump of butter in the liquid. Drain off the buttermilk. Fill jar with cold water. Swirl around and pour off water. Repeat until water is clear. Put butter on board and press down to force out remaining water. Repeat until no more water comes out. Add a pinch of salt if you like while kneading the butter. Any water left in butter will cause it to turn sour. Wrap and refrigerate. (Note: There are no preservatives, so butter should be used fairly quickly.)

Old 06-15-07, 11:07 AM
how did it go with the fresh ketchup (i am a ketchup fanatic!!!) so I would love to know about this...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: