How do you make and can tomato sauce?
Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-07, 12:39 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Here's a Dept. of Agriculture link:

http://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheets/hgic3340.htm

You will find that your local Cooperative Extension Service is a wealth of info for preservation of garden veggies and fruits. Most have classroom kitchens where they have classes.

I'd like to add that to 'season to taste' when it comes to spices. Individual tastes tend to vary.

I always used one of those big blue and white speckled cooker canners on top of the stove for the boiling water bath. You can likely find the jars, lids, and rings at the big box stores, although I see them in an aisle at a local grocery.

A jar lifter is also helpful for lifting jars out of boiling water. They are like a giant pair of tongs that are shaped to fit around the neck of the canning jars.

There are canning books available. One of my favorites was the Ortho Canning Book.

Old 09-12-07, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator
Received 126 Votes on 98 Posts
I'll tell you how I make tomato sauce. You can use canned tomatoes if you want (either whole, diced or crushed) or if you're using fresh, you'll need to blanch them first by boiling them for about a minute, then drop them in ice cold water (so you can handle them) and then peel them. The peel comes right off when you blanch them. Use plum tomatoes if you can or else you'll need to squeese the excess water and seeds out (I just squeeze them right in my hand )
Then saute some chopped onions (maybe a half of a large one), one or two chopped celery stalks, and one or two cloves of garlic. If I have a bell pepper, I chop that and add that, too. Saute them in a little oil (sometimes I add a little piece of butter for extra flavor, but if you're health conscious you don't have to), and I saute till it's soft and just slightly browned, then I add the tomatoes and salt and pepper to taste, about a teaspoon of sugar, and about 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of basil. You just need to smell and taste as you go.
If it's too thin and watery (especially if they're fresh) I add some tomato paste too, to thicken. Add a little at a time till it looks right, then just let it simmer for about 15 minutes. If you're using whole tomatoes, just get a potato masher or a fork to make them into small pieces. Then follow Twelvepole's advice for canning.