White wine (for Turkey)

Old 11-21-07, 10:03 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
White wine (for Turkey)

I'm looking for white wine and as stoooopid as this may sound, I know nothing about white wine.

So I go in the store and I'm literally looking for "white wine". Can ya guys tell me what to look for cuz I can't find "white wine". All I see "chardonay" or whatever.

I don't think it matters which kind of white wine but who knows.

Any specifics would be great. Please be exact on brand or other words to look for so when I go the grocery store, I'll know what I'm looking for and not have to stand there for over 10 minutes.

Yes...I know I could've asked someone there, but I was too embarrassed.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-07, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator
Received 23 Votes on 22 Posts
If I wuz you I would swallow my pride and ask the wine store people for a recommendation.
That is what they get paid to do and it is their job.

You will get a hundred different recommendations and it might be a hard thing to recommend because not all areas have the same wine types.

Here our wines are rated with a relative sweetness guide number to at least send you in the right direction.

White wine aside I find that beer goes quite well with turkey.

Old 11-21-07, 11:17 AM
M
chardonay is a white wine. A good rule of thumb is if it is wine,and it is white, it is white wine. Otherwise , it is a rose, ( iwish i had the little mark above the e) or red wine.

Now the most important thing- Don't be afraid to ask.

You can't possibly be expected to know everything about wine.

Your need to decide how much are you willing to spend ?

With wine price does not equal value or taste.

You need to decide if you want the wine to be sweet or "dry". If you are a novice wine drinker, try something a little sweet but not too sweet.

Are you selecting to impress or just enjoy.

There are a million wines (maybe not quite that many) and they all have unique characteristics.)

My advise is to go to a wine merchant not a grocery store
the wine merchant will be able to guide you and may even
have open samples? Just ask

It wont cost any more from a wine merchant than a grocery store.

Old 11-21-07, 11:29 AM
Group Moderator
Received 41 Votes on 33 Posts
Some help:

http://www.damngoodwine.com/about.htm

http://www.winostuff.com/WinePrimer.htm

Okay, in the last few days we've established that 'addict does NOT drive a Porsche and is NOT an accomplished wine connoisseur. She just CAN'T be living in California.

Originally Posted by GregH View Post
I find that beer goes quite well with turkey.
And you don't have to sniff the cork (poptop?) to decide if it's any good.

Old 11-21-07, 11:45 AM
D
Wow. So much to know about wine. It hurts my brain. I just need it to cook with Turkey. You gave me the ticket on white wine though. It's "white". The other word was "chardonay". I saw that but I didn't know what that meant!

Sorry...I'm shy... sometimes it's just hard and I'd rather just leave the store and figure it out here Asking (face to face) would be my last resort. Bad decision but it's hard to change.

Uh... $$$ wise...has to be less than the Turkey itself I dunno. Less then $10? I usually go by the looks of the bottle or by the name of the brand. I mean, I'd definitely wouldn't buy "Bob's Wine". No offense Bob...whomever you are! I know this is the wrong way to go, but I really don't want to "study" about wine.

No impressing...enjoying. I just want it to taste good enough...where people might say..."what'd ya put in this?" And I could say "Chateau Margaux". Yes...I don't know what that is...I just picked a word.

Greg, you're right! Beer with poultry is gooooood! My mom makes beer-chicken soup. Man that's good. Maybe I'll try beer turkey instead...it'll make it easier. Now... which beer brand? LOL! j/k...

I think I'll just close my eyes and point in the grocery store.

TG...yeah...I don't get out often. It's a crazy out there.

Old 11-21-07, 12:28 PM
C
Received 37 Votes on 32 Posts
Wait a minute! Don't get stuck in the Chardonnay rut. How about a Sauvignon Blanc or maybe a Fume Blanc. Of course there's always the Italian favorite a Pinot Grigio or it's US version the Pinot Gris. Italy also makes a lesser known Albano that could be a turkey choice. Viogner's have started to make inroads with some good wines coming out of California. The there are the German whites such as the popular Reisling.

Or you can step up a class and serve a red with Turkey. I've got a couple of bottles of Coppolla Pinot Noir in the wings. For me a perfect match for Turkey.

Seriously, buy a bottle of white wine. It doesn't have to be expensive (we get some very good Aussie Chards for less than $10 a bottle). Try it - with a munchie and drink at kleast two small glasses) and if you like it serve it. If you don't like it, try another vintner or another variety. Just stay away from the wine in a box. The neat thing about wine is that the only thing that counts is what you like. All the BS about wine and pairings and vintages is mostly snobbism and marketing anyway.

Don't serve a sweet wine with the meal. IMO the equivalent of serving kool aid. Ask your local packy guy to recommend a good wine to serve with a turkey dinner. If your guests are not winos a white will probably be a better choice. One bottle will serve 3-4 people for the meal.

BTW DIY - I have been a confirmed wino for years. I have a couple hundred bottles cellared. The wife and I drink wine with dinner at least 4 nights a week. We take wine vacations. I still ask waiters/sommeliers for a wine recommendation. No reason to be shy or embarassed.

Old 11-21-07, 12:35 PM
D
ooooo... thanks for the specifics

Wait a minute...I'm using the wine to put in (or underneath) the turkey while it's roasting. I'm sure it'd be the same. Boy do you know your wines!

Did you all think I meant for "drinking" it? Sorry.

Old 11-21-07, 01:37 PM
White wine (for Turkey)

Roast in it and NOT drink it?

Definitely not California!!!! - I can send you a map of the U.S.

Old 11-21-07, 02:40 PM
C
Received 37 Votes on 32 Posts
DIY - You really don't understand wine, food and cooking. Nobody buys wine just to cook with (although IMO it is a food group). Where's the fun in that? Buy a couple of bottles of Chardonnay. Open one and pour yourself the cooks glass (much larger than the dinky guest portions) taste the wine and if it's OK pour some in/on the bird. Whatever the recipe calls for. Or you can just pretend to pour some on the bird so that there is more for you. Drink the remainder of the wine (preferably with friends) while the bird is cooking. Serve another bottle of lightly chilled Chardonnay with the bird.

Did you ever watch Julia cook? A little wine for the recipe and a little wine for the cook.

Old 11-22-07, 07:19 AM
D
lol...

I can't drink AND cook at the same time. I might get tipsy from a few drinks and/or sips and forget the bird is in the oven!

BTW: I've tried wine before and it's pretty gross. No offense. I don't get it. I must of had cheap wine or something. That goes for champagne too.

I got the Pinot Grigio Of course, I'm going to take a little tiny sip just to see what it tastes like. Hopefully it doesn't taste good.

Hey Concrete...send me a map

Old 11-22-07, 10:18 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 64 Posts
I was never one who thought different foods should be served with different wines, I just had the wine I liked. My favorites were pinot grigio or chardonnay. Lots of other choices available, though. Best bet is to buy a bunch of bottles of different kinds and brands and see what you like.

Old 11-22-07, 10:35 AM
nap
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DIYaddict View Post
lol...

BTW: I've tried wine before and it's pretty gross. No offense. I don't get it. I must of had cheap wine or something. That goes for champagne too.
)
there is such a HUGE variety of wines with a huge variety of tastes that it is difficult to make such a claim with not much experience.

Personally, I do not like the "typical" wines that many rave about. I prefer extremely sweet wines (I have a terrible sweet tooth in most food types) and have found few that I do like.

One of the few is Bricco Riella which is a white wine and is made from muscat grapes which have a tendancy to be sweeter wines. It is also a sparkling wine (bubbly) (only sparkling wines from Champagne` region of France can legally be called champagne)

Some of the other posters seem to be very well versed in wines (I am very impressed by some of them) and I bet that if you tell us what you would like in a wine or what you don;t like, they will come up with a wine you love.

Old 11-26-07, 09:55 AM
D
Well...the turkey w/wine (for cooking) went well. As a matter of fact it was REALLY good and juicy and tastey.

As far as what I personal like to drink? Well...I don't drink alchol (I can't even SPELL it!) but I if I HAD to choose a wine, it'd be something sweet. I like the red wines (just b/c of the color) and I'd prefer something that tastes like grape juice.