help, I think I'm in the doghouse!

Old 02-21-12, 05:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,644 Upvotes on 1,472 Posts
help, I think I'm in the doghouse!

OK, here is the deal. The wife made porcupine meatballs tonight. She has made them many times before and they are usually very good. However this time, I could tell just by looking at them that something was different. The rice on the surface of the meatballs looked like it was still dry, and it pretty much was. Al dente, I guess you could say. She says she did not do anything different, but something was obviously different.

So this is where the discussion turned into an argument... LOL She is pretty stubborn and isn't open to a discussion when something like this goes wrong. I'm interested in what went wrong... she thinks I'm just trying to PROVE where she WENT wrong. I would think she'd be interested in finding the problem but she's not. She made this same exact meal for company about 10 days ago, and it was FINE. I'm just glad we didn't have anyone over tonight!

So since she isn't volunteering any information... has anyone else had this happen to their porcupine meatballs?

She says nothing was different from the last time, but to me, it has to be something to do with the oven, or where it was in the oven, or something. She had a 9x13 pan w/the meatballs and a 9x9 pan with cheesy potatoes and she said it all cooked for 1 hr uncovered. The potatoes were still crunchy in some areas, which tells me it wasn't in the oven long enough. But the meatballs- could it be that they were in the oven TOO long, and the rice on the surface dried out? Not being a chef myself I'm just guessing here.

Something else I was wondering about... if it takes 45 minutes to cook meatballs (by themselves) and it takes 45 minutes to cook potatoes (by themselves)... will it still take 45 minutes if you put them both in the oven side by side at the same time? Or do you have to increase the cooking time because there is more "mass" in the oven?

This is a real mystery to me, but the wife apparently doesn't share my curiosity about the cause. I told her that I know she's usually a good cook but that didn't help. Maybe I shouldn't have included the word "usually". LOL

Old 02-21-12, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Well...I dunno...but if you find out let me know. I've tried 2 times to make those and they always had crispy/underdone rice.

Having 2 items in the oven shouldn't affect anything unless they were blocking the heat (one under the other).

Old 02-21-12, 06:04 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Did she change type of rice? I know Uncle Ben's takes less time than wifey's favorite Basmatic Organic Whatever Rice. Seems to take forever to cook, and then sometimes it is crunchy. Just tryin' to keep you out of the elements.

Old 02-21-12, 06:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,644 Upvotes on 1,472 Posts
Well, she cooled down enough to tell me that this WASN'T the same meatball recipe as last time... and that she probably should have covered the dish that had the meatballs in it, so that the tops wouldn't dry out. The recipe didn't SAY to cover the dish. But I bet that's what it was. The heat from the oven probably just dried out the rice.

I think we're good again. LOL

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: