Contaminated Flour

Old 06-30-16, 09:24 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Old 06-30-16, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator
Received 393 Upvotes on 321 Posts
I've never understood the logic of eating raw dough or anything that's supposed to be baked.
For that matter, undercooked anything that should be thoroughly cooked. That's the reason people get sick.
Flour was never meant to be eaten raw and who would want to anyways? There's a lack of common sense, unfortunately.

Old 06-30-16, 11:05 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 842 Upvotes on 739 Posts
But wouldn't that be akin to the cake batter we ate as kids? Always enjoyed licking the bowl

Old 06-30-16, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator
Well, yuk, I only licked the frosting bowl! Don't like raw or undercooked anything.

I think tho, when we were kids, we didn't have to worry about contaminated foods. We no longer know exactly where it comes from or who's handling it before we buy it. At least the majority of us.

Old 06-30-16, 11:19 AM
C
Received 173 Upvotes on 141 Posts
Man, nothing better than raw chocolate chip cookie dough! Haven't had any in years or decades, except in cookie dough ice cream, but remember it fondly. Hope the stuff that goes into the ice cream is pasteurized or otherwise protected 'cause that's my go to ice cream flavor.

Old 06-30-16, 11:27 AM
V
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
I always thought that they bleached flour to kind of hide the bug parts that are always present during the reaping and thrashing processes . . . . and get milled into the tiniest powder.

It's not a perfect world.

Old 06-30-16, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator
It's the unbleached flour that was contaminated.

I'm going to guess that's not actually raw cookie dough in the ice cream.

Old 06-30-16, 01:24 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
As we speak, wifey is taking all our flour, cornmeal, grits, Pioneer Porridge and the like to the chest freezer in the basement to let it cure out for a couple of days. Not for the contamination mentioned in the blog, but for bugs she saw in the bags of bird seed she also brought home.

Old 06-30-16, 01:58 PM
wifey is taking all our flour, cornmeal, grits, Pioneer Porridge and the like to the chest freezer
Been doing that with beans and rice for years after bug incidents. With beans the added advantage is they cook quicker with no pre soaking.

Old 06-30-16, 02:57 PM
Received 727 Upvotes on 643 Posts
When my wife and daughter bake cookies they always yell at me for swiping the raw dough because they don't have enough. So one time I asked them if I can have as many cookies as I want after the cookies are baked? They said yes. I said OK, I'll take mine now! They now allow extra for me to eat raw.

On a more serious note I subscribe to the FOODSAFETY.GOV Recalls and Alerts. Almost daily I get an e-mail alerting me of recalls and alerts of contaminated food from across the nation and where it comes from and where it's being sold. It's actually scary.

Old 06-30-16, 03:56 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,189 Upvotes on 1,959 Posts
Raw anything... I love it. Raw bread and biscuits are some of my favorite. Well, favorite after cake and cookie dough.

Old 06-30-16, 06:25 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Count me among the people that love raw cookie dough. I haven't done it for several years but I would occasionally buy a roll of Pillsbury refrigerated sugar cookie dough and just eat it. My mother had a recipe for "ice box" cookies where the dough was formed into logs, wrapped in waxed paper and chilled thoroughly in the freezer. I was finally able to convince her to not even bother baking the cookies but to just let me slice of hunks of the dough and eat it raw.

The last time I made sugar cookies, I think it was for Christmas cookies several years ago, I ended up eating about as much raw dough as ended up getting baked.

Old 06-30-16, 07:29 PM
For years I have used shredded raw sweet potato in my salads. If you believe the internet it contains a poison and I should be suffering a severe gastric upset but I never have. Anyone else here eat raw sweet potatoes (what stores usually incorrectly label as yams).

Old 07-01-16, 03:26 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 842 Upvotes on 739 Posts
I should be suffering a severe gastric upset but I never have
But I do When I was a kid my mother would bake 3 loaves of bread at a time [I never ate the raw bread dough] and then let them cool on top of the stove. IF I could sneak in the kitchen without being seen I would grab 1 loaf, smear some butter on it and if I didn't get caught before I got out the door - that loaf was history! She always said it would rot out my gut Didn't believe her then and not sure I do now but I do have to take 1 stomach pill each morning and can't eat for an hour and 2 pills each evening on an empty stomach

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: