What's a good way to secure a closet with a sliding door

Old 09-10-02, 02:10 PM
mojostrat
Visiting Guest
What's a good way to secure a closet with a sliding door

I have a closet that I would like to lock only on one side since I plan on dividing the closet in the middle with a divider. The doors just slide on tracks on the top of the closet.

The lock doesn't have to be that intense. Just enough to deter the kids from messing with the contents of the closet.

I figure I could place a file cabinet type lock at the very top of the door and when it was in place and engaged, the tongue would go up into the ceiling track. Just sort of mimicking the way a file cabinet lock works.

Any better suggestions?

thanks
jay

Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-02, 12:55 PM
Nothing better necessarily. Hinged hasp with padlock is ugly. There are various styles of patio door locks for sliding doors that may fit your application. They would be similar to what your are doing already-extending the bolt into the track to prevent sliding. Good luck.

Old 09-13-02, 06:59 AM
mojostrat
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the response.

I think once I get clearance from my landlord to do this it will actually be clean looking (brass recessed lock against the dark wood door. The only thing is that it needs to be at the very top of the door. Not a problem for me but maybe for someone shorter.