Replacing a Deadbolt - Help on Escutcheon Romoval

Old 12-07-02, 03:41 PM
festus
Visiting Guest
Replacing a Deadbolt - Help on Escutcheon Romoval

Hi.

New to the Forum, but LOVE this site.

A neighbor just told me that his rental unit was burglared the other night with someone that had a set of keys. The apartment was previously managed by another company and doubt any locks have been changed in years. I decided to change the deadbolt lock on my entry door and bought one from LOWES this evening only to return home to find that the existing deadbolt has no visible screws on the interior lock face. I assume its's under an escutcheon plate, but have no idea how to get it off. There seem to be 2-3 trim rings around the interior part of the lockset (which rotate reasonably freely), but prying them off is not intuitive. I don't want to damage the door since this is a rental and I have a hard enough time to get the ditsy landlady to do anything in the first place - hence my proaction.

Can anyone describe how I get this old lock off? Greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-02, 05:23 AM
Is there any name on the lock?
Some deadbolts have a plate covering the interior screws which needs to be removed by gentle prying. Others will have small holes that an allen wrench can enter and access the screws. On an old mortise deadbolt you would have to remove the faceplate and/or loosen the set screws on the side to remove the cylinder and tumbturn.

Old 12-09-02, 05:45 AM
festus
Visiting Guest
schiejr

Thanks for replying - Unfortunately - no identifying mfrs marks.
Its a simple key on the outside, lever turn on the inside deadbolt. The escutcheon plate rotates and seems to be pinned against the door by two progressively smaller rings which also rotate reasonably freely. The smaller of the two seems to be able to recess into the larger and have tried to see if there is a trick to aligning them in such a way that the rings release the plate. I can't see any place to stick an allen key anywhere. I am wondering if the rings are to be pried off to release the plate.

I'll try to post a picture later, if it would help.

Thanks again.

- Festus

Old 12-09-02, 05:58 AM
Your rings sound like a cylinder ring that would be on a mortise deadbolt. If this is the case then there would be set screws on the edge of the lock that hold the cylinder and thumbturn in. If that is not it then I cannot think what else it might be at the moment.

Last I heard, the picture post option was disabled by policy.

Old 12-09-02, 06:06 AM
festus
Visiting Guest
OK I'll have to take another closer look. Would these set screws be into the side of the thumbturn under the rings? Should I be able to acess these set screw if I can comress the rings? It seems pretty tight. I'll let you know what I find. Thanks again for your help.

P.S. If you know of any websites with these types of deadbolts, I'd welcome any links you could provide.

Old 12-09-02, 06:17 AM
The screws would be on the edge-where the bolt is. www.schlage.com
If you look at the L460 Auxiliary Mortise Deadbolt under the commercial products-this is similar to what I am talking about. In this case the screws by th bolt remove a face plate and the set screws are under that.

Old 12-09-02, 06:29 AM
festus
Visiting Guest
So if I remove the plate aroung the bolt on the edge of the door, I should be able to access these set screws on the interior of the lockset? I'll have to atke a look at that. Thanks again!!!!!!!

Old 12-09-02, 06:59 AM
Yes, if your deadbolt is similar to the L460.

Most other deadbolts are different and will have screws holding the bolt assembly(which will normally be no more that a couple of inches high on the edge) into the door with dissassembly by removing the thumbturn first-as your were thinking originally.

You should be able to find this type on the Schlage website also.

Good luck!

Old 12-10-02, 11:39 AM
Your landlord should do this for you

If telling her about the breakin with a key and saying the word "liability" doesn't get results (I would still do this and document it - maybe in a letter with return receipt), maybe you can talk her into getting this:

http://www.smarthome.com/5196.html

She could be the only one with a key and just change the code for each new tenant. I know a landlord who does this; he said that he will never go back to giving out keys.