Dead Bolt?

Old 12-26-02, 10:53 AM
Question Dead Bolt?

Hi,
I was in a store recently (Grossman's Bargain Outlet) and saw a deadbolt for a door,made by weiser lock co.
It is polished brass,and felt heavy and well made.
Is this a good brand lock?The price was pretty cheap,so I was wondering?Thanks.
Its going on an apartment entry door.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-02, 12:50 PM
That depends on a lot of factors.

Weiser has been, in my experience, a decent low-cost lock. Mostly of light duty construction. I have not worked with the newer Weiser locks though.

One of the main things to look at is the ANSI grade. (American National Standards Institute, I believe) Grade 1 is the best down to Grade 3. The rating is based on things like number of times the lock is operated without failure and the strength and size of the bolt.

Low cost locks(under 20.00) are usually Grade 3 which suffices for most residential applications. If your are concerned about long term durability, high traffic areas or break-ins consider Grade 2.

Old 12-26-02, 05:20 PM
joelp
Visiting Guest
Weiser is owned by Masco Corporation. Their locks are no longer made in the US, but in Mexico. This in itself is no big deal, as most of the competition relies on offshore product. The key to a good deadbolt is to ensure that you have at least a 1" throw on the bolt, a solid anti wrenching collar that will not collapse if attacked by a pipe wrench, and a heavy duty reinforced strike that has a minimum of 3" Screws that will reach the frame members behind the door jamb.

More importantly, the door condition should be checked. An exterior door should be a solid wood or metal door that is 1 3/4" in thickness.

You should also check the condition of the frame and the hinges. A good lock is only part of the equation.

Good luck,