"deadbolt" on door

Old 01-15-03, 07:48 AM
trojan91
Visiting Guest
Unhappy "deadbolt" on door

I have a small one-sided deadbolt on my bathroom and basement doors that are old and I'd like to replace them. Unfortunately, I can't find them anywhere. And no one knows what I'm talking about to help me. They both have small (3/8 - 1/2") round bolt and oval plate only on one side of door. I've tried google searching on the net but don't even know a correct term for this type of lock. Can anyone shed some light for me?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-03, 03:47 PM
I have always called these privacy latches. They are not used anymore in commercial facilities due to safety concerns: there is no way to access the room or bathroom if someone needs help. Home privacy locksets also will have the small hole in the outside knob to trip the lock in cases of emergency.

I am not sure if they are still made or not-if you try a search with the new term perhaps you will find something.

You have got me curious now-I will try a search also.

Old 01-17-03, 09:00 AM
Looks like a few sites might have something similar to what you are looking for.

Old 01-17-03, 10:57 AM
trojan91
Visiting Guest
I searched around using "privacy latches" as a search string. Most of the hits were not for separate units like mine, but part of a knob/plate unit. Or they were large units or were on both sides of the door. I realize for safety reasons they probably can't make them one-sided anymore. As the house is not a classic, deserving of authentic hardware, my wife has brought down the word from on high that we should just take them out and fill in the holes with dowels and putty. Thanks for your help anyway.

Old 02-04-03, 08:32 AM
Update.

Old 02-05-03, 06:40 AM
trojan91
Visiting Guest
We went ahead and simply filled in the holes with dowels and putty. Not worth trying more to find replacement hardware.

Old 02-05-03, 09:13 AM
Thanks for the info. Trojan. I brought your post back up because dulli started a new post looking for the same thing. We found something similar at muffshardware.com. Sorry, not in time for you.