deadbolt intermittently latches

Old 02-18-03, 04:53 PM
philfedor
Visiting Guest
deadbolt intermittently latches

how do I get a positive lock every time? In warm weather, the lock sets without binding. As it gets colder, the bolt will not engage the strikeplate at all. I do not think the contractor installed the strikeplate in the proper place to begin with. It seems my only recourse is to grind down the plate until I get a postive lock every time. HELP!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-03, 06:43 PM
Doors will expand and contract with temperature, additionally, humidity will effect wood doors.

Filing the strike plate to allow a little more clearance to accomodate these variations is an acceptable solution for your problem.

Also make sure your hinge screws are tight before filing.

Old 02-20-03, 04:39 PM
philfedor
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by schiejr
Doors will expand and contract with temperature, additionally, humidity will effect wood doors.

Filing the strike plate to allow a little more clearance to accomodate these variations is an acceptable solution for your problem.

Also make sure your hinge screws are tight before filing.
this is steel door. And I have filed the plate down. Any more and I'm afraid I will compromise the strength of it, thus it will not accomplish its intended use.

How can I install a new strike plate? All I can come up with is to fill the old screw holes with putty, fit a block into the old deadbolt hole and putty around that. Then after that sets, install a new strike plate properly. My concern with that is will that be stronger or weaker than a plate filed down to a 1/8th inch or less?

Old 02-20-03, 05:01 PM
If strength and security is your concern then purchase a security strike plate. This will be larger than the stock strike in size and thickness.

You will have to enlarge the mortise, but you are going to have to anyway, from the sound of it. You can line the strike up to where you need. You can also run a couple of long screws into your framing for extra strength-a good idea to put a long screw through each of the hinges also.

Security strikes should be in stock at your local home center(they are at mine) and should cover the area of your old strike unless it is way off. A properly located strike will have the bolt centered in the hole. I take it that this was not a prehung door or if prehung, not fully prepped for the deadbolt?

Good luck.