Help!!!!!! Broken storm door lock

Old 04-01-03, 08:36 AM
rrleer
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Help!!!!!! Broken storm door lock

I have a problem with my storm door lock. It is apparently broken (locked) and the door cannot be opened. I have removed every part that unscrews but to take the lock out the door has to be open. Help!!!!! The door handle moves, the locking "tab" turns but the lock stays put. What can I do!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-03, 02:12 PM
Normally, you can get the door knob off and get to the inside workings of the latch. With a screwdriver, pliers or whatever you should be able to move the latch to open the door and completely remove the misfunctioning part. Than just replace the whole thing.
Should be two screws on the inside part of the door knob that will allow you access to the inside of the knob.

Old 04-02-03, 12:59 PM
Any idea who the manufacturer is? Is it a spring latch that will not retract or a deadbolt? Does the door have removable hinge pins?

Old 09-14-08, 02:48 PM
storm door lock

Originally Posted by rrleer View Post
I have a problem with my storm door lock. It is apparently broken (locked) and the door cannot be opened. I have removed every part that unscrews but to take the lock out the door has to be open. Help!!!!! The door handle moves, the locking "tab" turns but the lock stays put. What can I do!!!
I have the same problem how can I get the lock off. Thanks

Old 09-14-08, 02:51 PM
Angry

The key turns in the storm door lock. The door is locked. How can I get the door unlocked to fix the lock. Thanks

Last edited by stickshift; 03-22-12 at 09:59 AM. Reason: removed email address
Old 09-14-08, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator
Lonnie...going to need more info. Type of door, type of lock, pictures, ...something?

Might be simple, might need a drill, might need a prybar.

Look on the door for ID marks or a label.

Old 09-14-08, 03:25 PM
Often, storm doors, like other doors will move due to weathering.

I suggest that the reason the lock will not work is perhaps in part due to the shifting of the door on the frame. The amount of inclement weather we are having lately, may be causing land movement and consequently affecting the correct operation of doors.

Removing the pressure that is being applied by wedging something under the door and lifting the latch mechanism, might cause the lock to be loose enough to open.

Old 10-30-08, 02:24 PM
I have the same problem

My storm door lock will not open either. The knob on the handle spins until it won't go any more. I think I will need to take it off the frame from the outside. There is no way to remove the handle from the inside. I think its going to be a big hasle. I let you know.