removing a deadbolf lock

Old 06-11-00, 05:16 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

The key won't open the deadbolt lock. I took the lock apart but can't remove the bolt mechanicism from the door. The spring appears to be non-functioning and the bolt is in the lock position.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-00, 11:17 AM
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb

Hi:Mary_Kay

Try rattling/shaking the door knob while your trying to slide the deadbolt out. It may be the bolt is jammed into the hole or wedged into the deadbolt face plate on the door frame.

You should be able to slide the bolt back with a screw driver from inside the hole now that the key locking part is out. Try this while rattling/shaking the door.

All else fails, remove the whole door from the hindge pins.

Good Luck,
TomBartco

Old 06-11-00, 11:51 AM
Visiting Guest
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TomBartco:
Hi:Mary_Kay

Try rattling/shaking the door knob while your trying to slide the deadbolt out. It may be the bolt is jammed into the hole or wedged into the deadbolt face plate on the door frame.

You should be able to slide the bolt back with a screw driver from inside the hole now that the key locking part is out. Try this while rattling/shaking the door.

All else fails, remove the whole door from the hindge pins.

Good Luck,
TomBartco

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Tom- I give it a try. And let you know what happens!

Old 06-11-00, 12:47 PM
Visiting Guest
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mary_Kay:
Thanks Tom- I give it a try. And let you know what happens!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Got the deadbolt out, shaking and rattling didn't do it, but taking the door off did (as well as a little swearing- it's a BIG fancy front door!). Thanks for the advice.

Old 06-11-00, 02:30 PM
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Hello:Mary_Kay

HAHAHA...I did forget to add a little SWEARING &lt;$*%#@%!&gt; to the rattling and shaking now didn't I? hahaha...Thanks for reminding me.

Glad I was able to offer you some worthy advice too! Thanks also for the update.

Tom
"When experience and knowledge fail,
common sense and wisdom shall prevail."

Old 04-22-05, 03:07 PM
spider
Visiting Guest
Replacing a Yale deadbolt?

Someone please help me. I bought this old house and have changed most all of the locks except for the Yale deadbolt on the front door which is not working properly. It has two screws holding the lock onto the door that can not be unscrewed. The design of the screw is such that you can tighten it but you can not untighten them. I hope this makes sense...please someone help.

Spider