Deadbolt question?


Old 10-09-00, 08:04 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

i recently bought a house and noticed that the doorframe plate is not tightly installed. i removed it and took a look at it, the wood has been "knocked away". I wnet and got a larger plate and longer screws. the problem is is that the door frame has window blocks on either side, so there isn't much for the longer screws to bite into. what can i do to make sure the plate and deadbolt are secure?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-00, 11:52 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

You are on the right track. When I encounter a problem like this I use a security strike which is much longer than the standard ones and has more holes that are designed to allow long screws. In your case you need to purchase a strike long enough to bridge the bad area and allow you to use shorter screws into undamaged wood. Additional mortising will be required. If your hardware store does not carry these, a lock shop will be able to obtain one for you.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes