Dexter Double-Cylinder Deadbolts

Old 10-18-03, 08:33 AM
St_Ankus
Visiting Guest
Dexter Double-Cylinder Deadbolts

I need to replace a 15 or so year old Dexter deadbolt, but can't find one in stores. I believe Dexter is now owned by Schlage and I emailed them about the problem. They never replied. The problem is, the new locks all require a larger bore than the one in my door. Can anyone help?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-03, 11:18 PM
gdunn
Visiting Guest
Deadbolt installation...

How large is the hole in your door? Most locks made today require a 2 1/8" hole for mounting. But some brands can be mounted in smaller holes. Schlage deadbolts for instance can be mounted in smaller holes by not using the outer lock rose. Schlage BC series deadbolts can be mounted in a 1 1/2" hole.

BTW - You aren't going to find Dexter locks in any stores because they were bought out and dissolved quite a few years ago.

Old 11-14-03, 06:37 PM
WGW
Dexter=Black & Decker=Titan they are all the same plus a few names that escape me, but a low end product just the same.

Something slightly better is made by Weiser, and comes in both the single and double cylinder deabolt. They will install into the old 1 1/2" cutout you have and if bought at a lockmith shop, they can set it up to work off of your existing dexter key if you like.

Old 05-18-08, 07:07 AM
Dexter locks

I disagree with gdunn. Dexter locks are still available in stores. I just purchased two Dexter deadbolts at Menards. The package says Dexter by Schlage. They are also available online. Good luck.

Old 05-19-08, 07:42 AM
Originally Posted by billpbus View Post
I disagree with gdunn. Dexter locks are still available in stores. I just purchased two Dexter deadbolts at Menards. The package says Dexter by Schlage. They are also available online. Good luck.

This is correct!