Door Lock Bolt Not Long Enough To Engage

Old 11-09-03, 02:48 PM
strywever
Visiting Guest
Door Lock Bolt Not Long Enough To Engage

The front door lock -- the kind that requires you to turn a doorknob button on the inside to engage the lock -- in our newly remodeled duplex worked fine at first. But now, the bolt no longer reaches the doorframe or the hole the bolt is supposed to fit into. I don't have a clue how to fix this, or even what type of repairman to call. A locksmith, even though it doesn't appear to really be a problem with the lock? A carpenter?

Advice is very much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-03, 04:17 PM
Welcome to the forums.

Sounds like it could be a problem with your door frame. Is there a bow away from the latch? There should have been shims in this area behind the frame. If this door was part of the remodel, you ought to have the contractor come back and fix it. If it is a frame problem, a carpenter would probably be your best bet.

Old 11-10-03, 08:45 AM
strywever
Visiting Guest
Just to be clear (forgive me -- I'm a real novice), you're suggesting a shim behind the door frame to bring it out to the point the bolt can engage? Seems reasonable . . . I'll get a carpenter out to take a look. Thanks for taking time to reply.

Old 11-10-03, 04:28 PM
That is if the frame is bowed or if it looks like it is coming loose anywhere.

You would be able to tell by looking at the gap between the door and the jamb-is it narrower at top and bottom than it is in the middle? An eighth of an inch all the up and down is about right on the latch side.

A properly installed frame/door should not have this problem because of shims placed at various point along the jamb to maintain it plumb(straight up and down) and any trim tends to help keep it square and plumb.

If it is a wood door, it can expand and contract also, especially if a solid wood core but that should not be enough to cause your problem.

This is all assumes that the latch on the lock is not binding and is fully extended.

It would best to have an idea for sure before paying a trip charge to have someone come look at it.

If you are still not sure I can move this to the door/window forum where several wiley veterans lurk that may notice something I have missed.

Old 11-10-03, 04:43 PM
strywever
Visiting Guest
Thanks -- it's an investment property about 30 minutes from here, and all I have to go on at this point is the tenant's phone description. We'll go check it out in the next day or two, then see what next steps are. I so appreciate your advice!