Looking for closet door knob with flat back

Old 09-28-14, 07:41 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Looking for closet door knob with flat back

I am using my coat closet to house a media rack and it is so large that when I close my closet door, the other end of the door handle bangs against it. If I could save even half an inch on the back side, it would clear the space I need.

Does anybody know of any door knobs, like ones you would use for a closet, with a flat black? I want it to actually lock into place, which is why something like a "cup pull" would not work.

A deadbolt would work fine but seems a bit excessive.

Old 09-28-14, 08:45 AM
They do make closet door knobs with a flat back. Instead of a traditional knob on the inside it has a flat plate that can be turned.
You will have to go to the store and look. Doing an internet search is nearly impossible because sites are not showing both sides of locksets.
Another choice is to put a dummy knob on the outside only, no knob on inside. Rather than door being secured with standard strike, you would use some type of cabinet catch. I wouldn't use magnetic catches, some kind of mechanical ones.

Old 09-28-14, 02:44 PM
R
Received 45 Upvotes on 42 Posts
When you say "lock into place" do you mean "latch" (to keep the door closed) or "Locked" (with a key, to keep others out)?

If you want it to just latch, and you have a typical "cylindrical" type lockset/latchset, you can get a so-called "exit lock", made by several manufacturers, it has a simple knob/lever on one side and a flat blank plate on the other. Ask any locksmith, they can get you one in a medium-priced Grade 2.

For key security, a deadbolt is best, you can even saw off the thumbturn for more clearance.

Old 09-28-14, 02:53 PM
R
Received 45 Upvotes on 42 Posts
Caution to the previous advice: The assumption is there is not sufficient space in this closet to fit an actual person......otherwise, it could become a prison using the aforementioned type latch. As Handyone said, a "closet latch" will have a flush thumbturn, just in case. Again, assuming a door designed for cylindrical hardware.

Old 09-28-14, 02:56 PM
That's good advice stripe.
I think that's what OP wants, just a latch.

Oops, I posted too quick. Yes, you don't want to be trapped in there.
That's why they have magnetic refrigerator door seals now.

Old 09-28-14, 03:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
A dummy knob combined with ball catches as the latching mechanism should di the trick.

Old 09-28-14, 06:32 PM
Meroni hardware make a closet door latch that can be keyed on the outside and attached inside with a flat plate as you described. It is specialty and available in all 4 of their styles. they are custom built to order.

Perhaps another alternative might be to just move your existing locks to another location on the door that doesnt touch the media case.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: