New house - Change locks?

Old 03-23-04, 06:55 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
New house - Change locks?

I am buying a new house (my first). Should I change the locks on all the doors as a good measure? It's not in a bad neighborhood (the guy across the street owns a Dodge Viper, for Christ's sake), but the guy who lives there now used to rent out a room and still has people come by on rare occassions looking for the renter (who moved out months ago). Should I change all the door locks?

If so, should I do it myself (how do I do it)? Should I get a locksmith?

Thanks!

Chris

Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-04, 07:23 AM
Check out the thread EricT started regarding doityourself lock changes, lots of good discussion on this.

I would rekey it. You never know who might have keys-the peace of mind is worth it to me. If you remove the locks yourself and bring them to a shop, figure roughly 10.00 per lock+ keys. Having it done on site will entail a trip charge. All prices vary depending on your location.

Old 03-23-04, 07:45 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Ok, cool. So I should probably just remove all the locks myself, take them to a locksmith, and have the "rekeyed"? Sounds great, thank you.

Chris

Old 03-23-04, 03:12 PM
Glad to help. That is the cheapest unless you want the do it yourself experience. Call ahead for a quote and depending on what you have, they may be able to do it while you wait if necessary.