old mortise lock


Old 04-11-04, 01:50 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
old mortise lock

I have an old mortise lock that is locked by means of a strange looking skeleton key. It looks like a skeleton key, but the key part is square, like the spindle on a thumb turn. What is this key called and where can I get another?

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-04, 09:07 AM
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 674
Your description reminds me of a modern Abloy disc lock. Don't know how long these have been around. Have you tried showing the key to the locals?

Are there any cuts or grooves in the square part? If not, it sounds like an old restroom emergency key which is used to turn the bolt.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes