magnet door closers

Old 04-16-04, 05:55 AM
magnet door closers

Not being what you could call skilled with woodworking, I have been looking for magnet-type closers (one on the doorframe, the other one on the door) to use on french closet doors in my garage...can't find them anywhere, of course. Any suggestions on where to look for them would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-04, 04:10 PM
I have never heard of a magnetic door closer. The only thing I believe you may be talking about are magnetic cabinet latches or possible magnetic hold opens but since you mention closer, I suspect the latch.

A closer actively closes the door when it is pulled open while a latch holds it shut.

The magnetic cabinet latches usually come in two pieces-a magnet assembly and a steel plate. Could this be what you are looking for? Most hardware stores and home centers would have these so the fact that you cannot find them makes me wonder.

Last edited by schiejr; 04-18-04 at 03:29 PM.
Old 04-18-04, 10:31 AM
Schiejr, I did a poor job of describing what I was talking about. What I have been , and still are looking for, are magnets to hold the door closed. It's a deal where you have a magnet and a plate, and you attach one to the door, the other to the top of the frame/jamb, and when you close the door, they meet and hold. Home Depot and those types of places don't seem to carry them. Hope this makes a little more sense.
Thanks.

Old 04-18-04, 03:28 PM
I am surprised you cannot find these locally. Cut and paste this link, I believe these are what you are looking for.

http://www.doityourself.com/store/cabinetcatches.htm

Old 04-18-04, 03:51 PM
I couldn't believe it either. I'm going to print that page and show it to the guy at Home Depot, see if it jogs his brain.
Thanks for your help, Schiejr.

Old 04-18-04, 05:50 PM
Glad to help. Don't overlook your local hardware store either. I have a couple in my area that carry a lot of odds and ends that the big boxes do not bother with. Otherwise online is your option. I had to go this route for some uncommon hinges(replacements for older cabinet doors) with an inset that no one stocked locally.