Problems with my deadbolt

Old 07-12-04, 05:48 AM
Question Problems with my deadbolt

I've read most of the other posts on this forum but I'm still unclear as to what I need to do. I apologize for taking up anybody's time if this is a stupid question but here's my problem...I have a deadbolt on my back door of my townhouse. I don't have a key for it and neither does the condo association in which I live. It's not a deadbolt that sits apart from the door handle. It's connected by a face plate. I want to get new keys for the deadbolt so it can be locked/unlocked from the outside with the use of a key. My dilemma is there isn't any brand name on the deadbolt, door handle, faceplate or anywhere. Based on what I've read on the forum so far it appears I can just remove the deadbolt section of the door then replace it with a new one. Is this that simple? Do I have to purchase the entire works (deadbolt, handle and faceplate) or can I just replace the deadbolt part of it? Are there specific measurements I need in order to get the correct deadbolt? I'm unsure what I need to do at this point. I guess I could call a locksmith but if I can save some money and do it myself relatively easily I'm game for trying it. I'm sorry if I'm not leaving much detail as to my problem but any help would be very welcome. Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-04, 08:13 AM
Thanks for taking the time to read the previous posts. Hard to give specifics w/o a manufacturer. The cylinder can normally be rekeyed without replacing anything else.

Many of these types of locks will have a faceplate on the edge of the door. By removing this, you can access a cylinder set screw. When this is loosened, you should be able to turn the cylinder out. Let us know if this is not true in your case.

Old 07-12-04, 04:28 PM
Smile Follow-up

Thank you for replying! Here's some more information on my deadbolt. I removed the faceplate and the only wording on it is "Peachtree". There's a patent number and date there too.

I was able to easily remove the cylinder. I'm not quite sure what to do at this point though. I looked in Lowe's but was told they don't sell cylinder-only replacements. Do I need to take the cylinder to my local locksmith now to have it replaced? Are there websites I can track down a cylinder just by the measurements? Sorry if I'm being stupid with my questions. This is a new area for me to tackle. Thank you again! Any insight or directions from this point would be helpful and appreciated!

Old 07-12-04, 05:00 PM
No problem, glad to help.

I have not worked on Peachtree before, but if like others, take it to your local locksmith-he should be able to decode it and make new keys for it. Depending on the keyway-if it matches your other doors-they can make it the same key. If you call ahead, they may be able to do it while you wait.

Old 07-13-04, 03:23 AM
Smile Thank you very much!

Will do as you suggested! Thank you all for your help!!! You've made my problem much easier!!!